No announcement yet.

Whats on your mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no beach volleyball? You were really excited!!!!

Comment

• We got our first medal today.

That whole Mars-thing is really interesting!
      ''Seitdem ich Guitar Rig 3 benutze, fühlt sich mein Haar viel voller an!'' - Paul Landers

Comment

• I it would be nice to know why that rover needed such a complicated landing process, whereas past rovers could do with just a mix of parachutes and airbags.
        "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

• Originally posted by Snake View Post
          I it would be nice to know why that rover needed such a complicated landing process, whereas past rovers could do with just a mix of parachutes and airbags.
          Reasons are:
          -It is a quite heavy rover (a bit less 1 Ton ~ the weight of a car like a old VW Polo, or a F1 car) and the previous probes where lighter. Mars Pathfinder's robot, Sojourner was barely 10 kg! Opportunity is less than 200 kg.
          -It is more delicate, and also they were looking for a high precision landing; they wanted it to land in an area with an error of some tens of meters, instead of "let's throw it over there and if it ends up 5 km doesnt' really matter".
          -Landing processes need improvement if they want to send better instruments and eventually people.

In the CGI reconstructions they published before the landing, it is interesthing to see how after dropping the rover, the lander lift off again and rockets again to the sky: that is for avoiding falling near the robot and potentially contaminating the scene or just blocking it.

Extra: it doesn't look for life, at all. It doesn't have this capability. It will study the geology of the area where it landed to try to find out the environmental conditions of Mars past, so we can work out better what happened over there in the past.
          Last edited by Jorge; 08-08-2012, 08:04 PM.
          «The trouble with the world is that the stupid is cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt»
          Bertrand Russell.

Comment

• ^Ok, that clears it up.

The CGI reconstruction is bad ass. I had already seen it some months ago. Lets hope that this new rover is able to discover really neat stuff. Or if it can't find it, than at least be able to take some great photos of the landscape.
            "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

• ^Well, if will do for sure. It is already doing it: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ms.../pia16013.html

It will take months to have scientific papers published with results. In the meantime, the Mars Science Laboratory can be followed in Tweeter and Facebook
              ----------------------

In one week I will be again in Germany, in Lübeck!
              «The trouble with the world is that the stupid is cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt»
              Bertrand Russell.

Comment

• You are going to have fun.

Again???? You are always on holidays

Comment

• Well, I have 25 days of holidays, I just use them wisely
                  Bertrand Russell.

Comment

• ^ More days and without a normative to use them, not like me.

Comment

• @ Jorge - Lübeck sounds great, I'm sure you'll have fun there.

http://www.neonsplash.de/ I going there tomorrow with two other Finnish Au pairs. It's going to be a blast even though the music isn't probably the best possible. 22.30-06.00.. Fine by me.
                      ''Seitdem ich Guitar Rig 3 benutze, fühlt sich mein Haar viel voller an!'' - Paul Landers

Comment

• Have you seen the last doodles? I had fun playing them

Comment

• Back to work after a fantasticly wonderful week off

Thought i would have pages to catch up on but i have not missed as much as i thought!!

Maya, will reply to your message after work, hope all ok with you
                          The saying is "You dont know what you have got till its gone" the truth is "You know what you had, you just did not know you would lose it" !!

Comment

• ^Holidays!!!! You are lucky.

Everybody is having fun and forgets to visit the forum. It seems so, only a few of us here.

I'm impatient.

Comment

• I have been suuuuuper busy these two weeks I've been here. Good to see RBF here again.

@Maya - why are you impatient?

Comment

• ^Yeah I saw you, but never met you

Originally posted by abendwind View Post
                                @Maya - why are you impatient?
                                Originally posted by RICHARDS BIGGEST FAN View Post
                                Maya, will reply to your message after work, hope all ok with you
                                I should have said I'm impatient to read it or I can't wait .....

Comment

Working...
                                X