Whats on your mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Rose View Post
    Just back from a week at my sister. In the meantime -my neighbourhood gangs have managed to kill 3 gang members, one just across the street from me. So it was with some trepidation I walked towards my door and saw 8-9 member standing there and I had to walk between them to get in. One very politely said hello, so I took a chance, said hello back, and asked if he would help me carry my suitcase up to the 5th floor. He did.

Isn't it nice when people dont live up to your worst expectations
    Damn, that's taking a leap of faith! I like that.

Dort wo der Horizont
    Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
    Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
    Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

• yes-yes-yes

Comment

Just back from a week at my sister. In the meantime -my neighbourhood gangs have managed to kill 3 gang members, one just across the street from me. So it was with some trepidation I walked towards my door and saw 8-9 member standing there and I had to walk between them to get in. One very politely said hello, so I took a chance, said hello back, and asked if he would help me carry my suitcase up to the 5th floor. He did.

Isn't it nice when people dont live up to your worst expectations

You have definitely bigger balls than me, and probably bigger balls than most people in this place.
        Last edited by Snake; 11-18-2017, 04:27 PM.
        "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

• ^Are you saying that to yourself? Did you just react to your own post? Did you just quote yourself to respond to yourself ?
          Dort wo der Horizont

Comment

• ^Fixed..............
            "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

• Thought it was like this but you never know...
              Dort wo der Horizont

Comment

• Originally posted by Snake View Post
                You have definitely bigger balls than me, and probably bigger balls than most people in this place.
                Thank you. I have to live here, and if I start getting afraid as some here, then I couldn't walk around when and where as you should be able to in your own neighbourhood. I refuse to be intimidated.

Comment

• Anyone seen "The Last Jedi"? Let's have a Star Wars discussion again

Comment

Thank you. I have to live here, and if I start getting afraid as some here, then I couldn't walk around when and where as you should be able to in your own neighbourhood. I refuse to be intimidated.
                    I was pretty shocked by your story. Has it been like that for a while? How is local police reacting to this? I hope it gets better. (by the way, sorry for going straight to Star Wars. I didn't see your post at first).

Comment

• ^It's quiet now. It started early Summer. The gangs have made a truce, they realised it was bad for business having a heavy police presence here all the time.Quite a few members have also been arrested on weapons charges and I think 5-6 for the murders.

As for Star Wars, no haven't seen it. In fact, I'm probably the only person in the Western world who haven't seen any Star Wars films

Comment

• Snake You have seen It, haven’t you?

Chrisss Nofff Tell us, did you like it?
                        Last edited by Maya; 12-21-2017, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• ^The Rose - Catching up on 8 movies that are average ca. 2 hours 15 minutes long is better than having to watch 100 hours of some TV show that everyone is recommending.

Here is the SPOILER-FREE part.

As for "The Last Jedi", it's supposedly the worst movie of all time according to the internet . Just as a short catch-up, I love the original trilogy and "Revenge of the Sith". Even objectivley I can say that "The Empire Strikes back" is an excellent movie. I would still give it a 9/10. "Return of the Jedi" and "Revenge of the Sith" each have their problems and are not as great as EP IV and V.

"The Force Awakens" was a very good film. Everyone has pointed out the usual complaints like the similiarites to Ep IV, some failed meta-humor and some odd choices of structuring. But overall it was a very exciting fantasy/science fiction movie. The new characters were likeable, the old cast had a good place in the story, the special effects and creativity was quite amazing, overall I would give it a 7,5 out of 10.

Back to "The Last Jedi", it was fine. I would give it a 7 out of 10. Main problems are things like story-structure and pacing. The movie doesn't start where episode VII left off, instead we return to Luke and Rey later. That transition is awkward, but the movie is filled with weird editing choices. The movies itself tries to have a "Die Hard"-esque framing in which the characters are trapped in a bad situation that keeps getting worse, all the while there is a ticking-clock element to it.

That part of the movie fails completely. There is no feeling of tension or "we are running out of time", everyone just chills and the characters split to several sub-plots. This reminded me of the Hobbit sequals, which had similar problems.

Another often discussed part of this movie, was the humor. No "Star Wars"-movies attempts as many jokes as this one (emphasis on attempts). Some jokes worked and were quite funny, others failed completely. To give you an idea, some of the humor felt like it belonged in a Marvel or Judd Appatow movie.

The last of my complaints are I guess a bit more subjective. A lot of set-ups from the last movie, are not paid of. With the exception of Kylo Ren who is excellent in this, the villans are just "meh". Some of the editing choices felt inappropriate for "Star Wars". Things like slow-motion and several flash-backs, dream-sequences and cut-aways to completely unrelated characters. However some other editing choices were very good, but I can't talk about them without spoiling.

The good parts of the movie are the characters and their motivations. Espacially Kylo Ren played by Adam Driver. The plot, although not very good structured or paced, was very coherent and did not suffer from too many plot-holes like most fantasy/science fiction-films.

Overall I would recommend it.
                          My score would be 7/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrisss Nofff View Post
                            ^The Rose - Catching up on 8 movies that are average ca. 2 hours 15 minutes long is better than having to watch 100 hours of some TV show that everyone is recommending.
                            I have absolute no intention of 'catching up'

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrisss Nofff View Post
                              ^The Rose - Catching up on 8 movies that are average ca. 2 hours 15 minutes long is better than having to watch 100 hours of some TV show that everyone is recommending.

Here is the SPOILER-FREE part.

As for "The Last Jedi", it's supposedly the worst movie of all time according to the internet . Just as a short catch-up, I love the original trilogy and "Revenge of the Sith". Even objectivley I can say that "The Empire Strikes back" is an excellent movie. I would still give it a 9/10. "Return of the Jedi" and "Revenge of the Sith" each have their problems and are not as great as EP IV and V.

"The Force Awakens" was a very good film. Everyone has pointed out the usual complaints like the similiarites to Ep IV, some failed meta-humor and some odd choices of structuring. But overall it was a very exciting fantasy/science fiction movie. The new characters were likeable, the old cast had a good place in the story, the special effects and creativity was quite amazing, overall I would give it a 7,5 out of 10.

Back to "The Last Jedi", it was fine. I would give it a 7 out of 10. Main problems are things like story-structure and pacing. The movie doesn't start where episode VII left off, instead we return to Luke and Rey later. That transition is awkward, but the movie is filled with weird editing choices. The movies itself tries to have a "Die Hard"-esque framing in which the characters are trapped in a bad situation that keeps getting worse, all the while there is a ticking-clock element to it.

That part of the movie fails completely. There is no feeling of tension or "we are running out of time", everyone just chills and the characters split to several sub-plots. This reminded me of the Hobbit sequals, which had similar problems.

Another often discussed part of this movie, was the humor. No "Star Wars"-movies attempts as many jokes as this one (emphasis on attempts). Some jokes worked and were quite funny, others failed completely. To give you an idea, some of the humor felt like it belonged in a Marvel or Judd Appatow movie.

The last of my complaints are I guess a bit more subjective. A lot of set-ups from the last movie, are not paid of. With the exception of Kylo Ren who is excellent in this, the villans are just "meh". Some of the editing choices felt inappropriate for "Star Wars". Things like slow-motion and several flash-backs, dream-sequences and cut-aways to completely unrelated characters. However some other editing choices were very good, but I can't talk about them without spoiling.

The good parts of the movie are the characters and their motivations. Espacially Kylo Ren played by Adam Driver. The plot, although not very good structured or paced, was very coherent and did not suffer from too many plot-holes like most fantasy/science fiction-films.

Overall I would recommend it.
                              My score would be 7/10
                              I will watch it later this week probably. Thanks for a spoiler-free review .

But I don't see the link with the Hobbit sequals? There was never a rush or race-against-the-clock-aspect in the Hobbit movies, was there? There was no "deadline" to conquer back the Lonely Mountain, nor did Gandalf wanted to join the dwarven party back before a certain moment, for he had other business to attend to.
                              Dort wo der Horizont

Comment

• ^Waidmann

What I meant with the Hobbit comparison, was the fact that several character split up into sub-plots, which in the end are not very necesarry, make the movie longer than it needs to be and distract from the interesting part of the story. That's a feeling I had watching Hobbit 2 and 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X