No announcement yet.

Whats on your mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^nice here it still feels like Autumn. Brrrr . . .

Comment

• Working... students need extra classes this weekend before the exams. In the evening finalizing those exams. All work and no play makes Waidmann something something...
      Dort wo der Horizont
      Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
      Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
      Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

• But after your next crazy weeks you'll be on holidays, won't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maya View Post
          But after your next crazy weeks you'll be on holidays, won't you?
          That's the only thing keeping me going, indeed. Just 2,5 weeks from now... I'll take more time off in the summer as well. As a teacher you normally get 2 months of vacation but so far I actually never took it. I always filled up my summer and other school vacations with teaching adults. But this summer that will all end. The result will hopefully be a more optimistic Waidmann than me now, this pathetic Sanke-pastiche roaming this board lately .
          Dort wo der Horizont

Comment

• Two months.... WOW!!!! That would be a dream becoming true for me.

I think you aren't the most pessimist here

Sanke-Pastiche, did you mean Snake-pastiche? I almost missed this part,

Comment

• Two months off work? That would be amazing! Of course, two months of not being paid would really, really not go over well...

Comment

• Not being paid? why not? In Spain they are paid, and they have 2 months during the summer, 3 weeks for Christmas, and 11 eleven days for Easter, plus the same of us and 5 days "because I'm worth it" (nobody knows why). I should think about it and became a teacher.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure it's different in the US. Teachers don't automatically get paid over the summer break. It might depend on the school system, but I know that's why lots of teachers take part time jobs in the summer or try to teach summer school.

Sort of the same thing as maternity leave and other stuff.

Comment

• You are not paid during maternity leave... :O

Comment

• No. It is not a paid leave. You are only guaranteed that you will probably have a job to come back to. The only way you are paid is if you have sick leave or PTO saved up to cover it.

I wasn't working with my oldest, but the place I worked with my two younger sons...I had to come back in just under 4 weeks with my middle one, even though I'd had an emergency c-section and my son was still in the NICU (he'd been 10 weeks early) because my company was going to cut off my medical benefits. I had to convince my doctor to write a letter saying I could go back to work since I hadn't even been out a month. I hadn't had very much time saved up because I wasn't expecting to have him for another ten weeks. And I'd already been in the hospital nearly 2 weeks trying to not have him yet. The whole time was pretty traumatic. I only had about 4 weeks with my youngest as well, even though I'd tried to save up as much time as I could and literally worked up to the Friday before I went in for the scheduled c-section at 39 weeks.

It was a pretty horrible experience all around. And there's no paid paternal or new parent leave for the partner either. Usually a day or two.

Comment

• @Maya: Snake, indeed, not sanke or so

Yes, of course that summer is paid (only 80% but that's still very sufficient), as are all vacations, holidays and medical-related days off. I can perfectly live of it, but I filled my days off just to not feel useless, to be there for other people. I was always ready to jump in and I made so many people happy that I wanted to keep it up. And feeling sick or exhausted was my problem, something I didn't want other people to pay the price for (hell, they were counting on me, and I refused to let anyone down because of my weakness). Though that doesn't work for the long run. These last few months I paid for it, and I now I have to draw some lines or I just won't make it. Took me long to realize it, but now I've seen the light !
                        In the future I will still do some work in those vacation days of course (some!), but at home, thinking about writing new courses, excercises, reading books... Nothing intensive, no toiling, just preparing some for the upcoming term.
                        Dort wo der Horizont

Comment

• ER I 'm really surprised, I already knew that coverages depend of the insurance you have in the US, but never thought maternity was not covered.

In Spain is pretty different, there are 16 weeks of maternity leave, the first 6 weeks must be taken by the mother, but the rest can be taken by the mother or the father. These 10 weeks can be changed to 20 if you choose to work half the time.

I think the father has 15 days after the birth

I imagine the experience was terrible, 4 weeks it's very early in my opinion.

@Waidmann I didn't understand the other word without searching its meaning, .....

If you have seen the light, don't lose it. You should rest, you can use your time for other stuff like all the activities you mentioned, or something no work related, you don't have to sit without doing nothing only because you are on holidays.
                          Last edited by Maya; 05-31-2015, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• Here the mother gets 14 week and the father 2 weeks on full pay. After that you can have up to 32 week that the parents can spilt as the like, but on what is equal to unemployment-benefits. Of cause the hospital and all medical treatment is free. Parents also have the right to stay home from work the first day a child is sick, if you have a good union-contract it's two days. It's illegal for a company to fire a pregnant worker or during maternity-leave, unless it's part of a general down-sizing.

As for vacation everyone in full-time employment have 25 says, I have 38 days because of my union-contract. And every-one has a right to three weeks uninterrupted vacation during June-July-August. On top of that there are the holidays (X-mas, Easter, and such) and if you work full-time, you have the right to see doctors/dentist during working-hours. When you're sick it doesn't come off your vacation-days, as I understand they do in the US?

Comment

• Emerald Rose, your story made me recall this peace from HBO's Last Week Tonight:

Last edited by Snake; 06-01-2015, 12:33 AM.
                              "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

• ^Yeah, pretty much. I had to go on my lunchbreak every week and work longer to make it to my trauma therapy after I went back to work before my incision had even healed. In a nursing home. In a place with infectious diseases. When my child was still in the hospital because he was too little to go home. It was great. I finally had to quit therapy because I was too exhausted to try to make it fit in and work was piling up.

Because my job would take away my medical benefit if I went to less than full time. With a baby still in the hospital and a husband who'd been fired because his company was downsizing. Also while I was in the hospital.

I am completely not bitter or angry about any of that of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X