X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jorge
    replied
    [OFFTOPIC!]

It is a bit offtopic, but Rosetta Stone may not be the best option. It didn't work for me with Polish, it didn't work for me with German.

Why? Because the context is very important in any language, and Rosetta Stone (and other options) doesn't change the context from one language to another. For example, if you learn about food, the food in your country is one thing, but the food in other country is another thing. There is not much point in learning how to say exactly the same in different languages if that won't be useful in another. Following a textbook is important, as it introduces you slowly in the cultural aspects of a language.

"Can I have a hot dog, please?" is totally useless if you go to Morocco, for example. If you take a visual dictionary, soon you realise that half of the words are totally nonsense in the language you are learning. Sport... What is the point in learning the vocabulary related to baseball if you learn German, or the vocabulary of handball (best sport ever, no discussion!) if you learn English?

My experience say that you only need a dictionary, a grammar book and textbook to follow. And radio, as much radio as you can.

I use a lot of material of Langenscheidt (dictionary and textbooks, the "Berliner Platz" series). http://www.langenscheidt.de/

Pons and Huber are also very good. But of course, that is what I can access from Spain, UK and Germany.

There was a BBC course, that I bought for 5 pounds in a shop just because it was a relatively old version with cassette, instead of CD... but good enough for me: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deutsch-Plus...676743&sr=8-11

Radio! This, most of us will like it www.rockantenne.de

Still, there is a very good online resource, http://www.livemocha.com/ . Give it a go. If that works for you, then think about Rosetta Stone.

Grammar is vital in German. English, for example, doesn't need much understanding of grammar to start to say things. But German, if you want to learn it, needs to assume some understanding of grammar. It really sounds much worst than what it is. Grammar is the mechanics of a language: If you have a lovely and powerful bike or car, you will like to understand how it works. That is grammar.

The most important thing is persistence. It is much better to dedicate 15 minutes everyday, for one year, than using 1 hour a week for the same period. Small reading, it is very useful. Take a topic a week, and focus on that (last week for me, being in Germany, was asking for directions). Just pretent, in your own, you are arriving to a new city (your town), and ask yourself in German "Where is the park?" Can you ask that? No? then learn it. Yes? then, can you answer it? And so forth.

Good luck!

[READING!]

After one month or so reading War and Peace, I have reached 18% in kindle... argh, this is slow... But highly enjoyable!

Leave a comment:

• Edelweiss
    replied
    My friend is seeing if she can get a used version for us, she wants to learn too and she likes Rammstein.

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    So buy

That's a good idea, each day a little.

Leave a comment:

• Edelweiss
    replied
    I mean purchase rosetta stone. I don't have many German or Croatian speakers around me which would help me learn more words. I have a German workbook I am going to start doing a page everyday.

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    Originally posted by Edelweiss View Post
    I can't believe you all can read German. I can prolly get half of it but would have to look the other half of the words up. I might have to buy Rosetta stone or start my German workbooks again.
    You mean "Buy" or buy?.....

Leave a comment:

• RICHARDS BIGGEST FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    It is in Amazon co.uk indeed, also as Kindle edition.
    Thats so cool thankyou Jorge I do not have Kindle but i will look into buying the book when i have the money

Leave a comment:

• Edelweiss
    replied
    I can't believe you all can read German. I can prolly get half of it but would have to look the other half of the words up. I might have to buy Rosetta stone or start my German workbooks again.

Leave a comment:

• Jorge
    replied
    It is in Amazon co.uk indeed, also as Kindle edition.

Leave a comment:

• RICHARDS BIGGEST FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Waidmann View Post
    ^I never saw it around either. I bought it on ebay. I recall there were german sellers and some from the UK.
    Thanks i will check out ebay and maybe amazon as well, i am sure its a good read

Leave a comment:

• Waidmann
    replied
    ^I never saw it around either. I bought it on ebay. I recall there were german sellers and some from the UK.

Leave a comment:

• RICHARDS BIGGEST FAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Waidmann View Post
    Finished Bis das Herz brennt -die inoffizielle Rammstein-Biographie! It was a good read, although not too complete and not updated (it ends right before the LIFAD-tour kicks of). I saw a few mistakes (content and some spelling as well), but not much. It really learned me a lot about the pre-Reise, Reise period. Overall I give it a 8/10.
    I wonder if that is available in the UK, I have never seen it anywhere locally ?

I am more of a fiction person, i am reading books by author Peter James at the moment, murder mystery novels, they are based around Brighton which is my area so it makes them more interesting

Leave a comment:

• Waidmann
    replied
    Finished Bis das Herz brennt -die inoffizielle Rammstein-Biographie! It was a good read, although not too complete and not updated (it ends right before the LIFAD-tour kicks of). I saw a few mistakes (content and some spelling as well), but not much. It really learned me a lot about the pre-Reise, Reise period. Overall I give it a 8/10.

Leave a comment:

• Edelweiss
    replied
    Berlin Noir novels sound right up my alley. I'll have to check them out.
    I wish I could read a book in another language.

Leave a comment:

• Jorge
    replied
    Has anyone read any of the Berlin Noir novels, about Bernie Gunther the German policeman/detective in the 30's? Written by Philip Kerr, very good! I have read the Berlin Noir trilogy, plus the following 4 (or 5?) books. Really worthy.

J.

Leave a comment:

• Waidmann
    replied
    ^Okay, I'm reading the Aleph as soon as I can (around the beginning of july I might come to it - if I can find it in either dutch, german or english). First I'll finish up the Rammstein book and read the last 2 of Stephen King's Dark Tower series (for the ones who haven't read this: this is really a must-read!).

War and Piece is lying here as well, waiting for a courageous moment of mine to start it. I've never given up a book once I've started, but this will be a though one none the less. Tolstoj's Anna Karenina was worth the trouble, so I guess in the second half of the summer I might start with this monstrocity as well.

Never read Benedetti, I'm sorry. I'll look him up to see what he has to offer !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X