Announcement

Collapse

FORUM RULES ABOUT WEB-BASED LINKS TO MUSIC AND VIDEO'S

Based on latest discussions on this forum, and studiing copyright laws, it is necessary to state out new forum mandatory rules, effective immediately, so, here we are.

LINKS TO MUSIC & VIDEOS: what is legal/what is not.
NEW RULES in the forum state:

From now on in our forum users shal NOT POST TOPICS THAT containin the following :
• Requests for or links to MP3s, music videos, or other files of questionable legality
• Bootlegs

So, please do not POST A LINK TO music or videos which does not directly originate from an officially legal site.

An OFFICIALLY LEGAL SITE is: rammstein.com or rammstein.de, universal music, a legitimate music site like MTV or VIVA. The links must be direct and linked only to the approved site. Any links which have copied and transferred the music or videos from an official legal site to ANYWHERE else are NOT OFFICIAL.

• Do not ASK FOR A LINK to music or videos. If there is a legal site for either listening or viewing, xTERNAL will provide the information in the NEWS section of www.RAMMSTEIN-EUROPE.com.

WHAT YOU CAN DO in the forums: You can DISCUSS a new song or a new video.

WHAT YOU CANNOT DO in the forums: provide illegal links or ask for links, give directions of any kind as to where something might be found (examples: file-sharing, other fansites, etc.). Screen caps will be allowed (within reason) AFTER a video has been made available through an OFFICIAL LEGAL LINK. Fan remixes of songs will be allowed (within reason) after the song has been officially released.

The above restrictions are necessary not because we are being “damn babies” or “. The reason is simply that RAMMSTEIN-EUROPE has made the decision to not be a facilitator of illegal activities involving copyrighted material. The reason for that is also clear. Rammstein’s Management has shown aggressive behaviour in combating copyright infringement.

Anyone who violates the spirit of the aforementioned expansion/explanation of what the RULES mean here as applied to music and videos (and this also includes the "making of videos") will meet up with one of the following consequences:

POST BLOCKED, LINK ERASED AND WORSE.... BANNED IF NECESSARY.

If you have ANY questions about what may or may not be acceptable here, you can always PM a Moderator and ask first before posting something that might get you in trouble here.

•any links to www.youtube.com (or other sharing sites of a similar nature)are generally not allowed.
While some videos like fan made items or spoof animations are allowed, we do not allow linking to youtube. Oftentimes there is/are illegal videos of Rammstein performances to the side of the linked videos. Actual Rammstein Videos which are very illegal to be hosted by that site - therefore we cannot allow links to youtube to be allowed.

So, links to youtube are now allowed - ONLY IF it is a fanmade video by you, and does not contain bootleg footage or footage of live performances or released performances. Stills from photos found on the net are OK. A montage is OK. Clips of released footage are NOT OK.

Please try to understand that sometimes while we may allow a certain individuals fanmade videos, and deny another persons it is usually because the content in it could get the forums in trouble.

Also if some individuals post their fanmade video and it turns out to be bootleg footage that they filmed themselves at a concert and consider that "fanmade" - then we will have to reverse the ruling on allowing fanmade videos PERIOD!

Here is an update on what is considered "fanmade".
Fanmade is fanmade. You did it yourself. Like cut and paste. You creatd everything yourself. No footage filmed by someone else no clips. Still images are OK.
For example:
If you go out and find 6 banana slugs in the yard, dress them up in LAB outfits, and put the skinniest one in a paper boat and play the music to SEEMANN on a kazoo. That is fanmade.

If you have a coverband and you do your own video or you have footage of YOUR band's performance. That is fanmade.

If you have images that you sketched of how you think the video for a song should have been and you put it to music - I think we can allow that.

Use your creativity.

IF YOU SEE VIOLATION OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, REPORT IT BY USING THE EXCLAMATION MARK IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF RELEVANT POST.

xTERNAL&MR_FLOOO
See more
See less

My thoughts on the new Rammstein movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on the new Rammstein movie

I have to admit that this post is a little long, however I have a lot of thoughts about this project. I divided the thread into two parts, so if you get bored with one please skip ahead and read the next.

According to several Interviews, Rammstein are planning a full feature documentary about themselves. The documentary is as far as we know set to be released in theatres, and the current director is said to be Jonas Åkerlund. Åkerlund told us in an interview with Vice that the production has already started and he is aiming for a possible late 2015 release. Richard Kruspe has recently said in an interview that the movie is about "Rammstein in America". This could mean that the journalist(s) who wrote the big ""Wer zu Lebzeit gut auf Erden" article in Süddeutsche Zeitung in 2012, followed them on their 2012 North-America tour with a camera crew. However, the band could also have filmed their preparation for the 2010 New York concert or the 2011 US tour. It is also said that in 2008-2009 the Band filmed their recording of "Liebe ist für alle da", and some artists like Avenged Sevenfold said that they were interviewed and asked to comment on their opinions regarding Rammstein by the band´s film crew.

Choice of Director

I have to say that there is already one thing that bothers me. Jonas Åkerlund has made some spectacular music videos and his Madonna documentary "I`m Going to Tell You a Secret" was actually in my opinion not that bad. However Richard Kruspe once mentioned in 2005 that German Director Werner Herzog was interested in directing a documentary about them. This is true since Herzog once said that Rammstein were one of the 5 artist which he ever bothered to see live (just to put that in retrospective, the man is 72 years old). In my opinion Herzog is one of the best directors still in business alongside Spielberg, Scorsese, Lynch and Scott. His documentaries include "Grizzly Man", "Encounters at the end of the World" and "Into the Abyss" etc. I think they are all masterpieces and Herzog certainly has a extraordinary style and talent when it comes to making movies. If you have not watched anything by Herzog, you can get a quick introduction to his style by watching his 30 minute short film "From One Second To The Next" which he released for free on Youtube (Link).

The reason why I prefer Herzog over Åkerlund as Director, is simply because I think Herzog could really give us a deep and artistic look into Rammstein which we have never seen before. One might argue that a Rammstein documentary by Herzog is impossible, since he as far as we know has not filmed the band in the last couple of years (or at any time). However, one should take in consideration that a lot of Herzog´s documentaries consist of footage which he himself has not shot. "Grizzly Man" for instance was for the most part made out of the 2000 hours of footage which Timothy Treadwell filmed himself when he was outside with the bears (and the one who probably killed him in the end). Bottom line, I would prefer if Åkerlund would step back as director, and instead be the film´s producer while Herzog directs and possibly edits. In case Herzog would direct, we would possibly have to wait a year longer for the film to be released, since Herzog is currently releasing his biopic on Getrude Bell "Queen of the Desert" starring Nicole Kidman, and also has a project with Mike Tyson and Pamela Anderson (...don`t even ask me about that).

Is this movie the product of a long ownership/copyright conflict?

If you are familiar with anything I am about to tell you in this text, you are a sad, lonely and depressing ultra-Rammstein-fan like me (only joking, however this is some really nerdy stuff). In early 2012 independent German filmmaker Carl G. Hardt sent a letter to the Austrian Rammstein fan club. In the letter he told us about the fact that he finally wants to release his documentary "ACHTUNG WIR KOMMEN - Rammstein 1994". The movie supposedly contains old footage of Rammstein from 1993-1994, including the transition from Feeling B to Rammstein, recording of "Herzeleid" and the earliest tour rehearsals and concerts. Hardt has a passion for 70s and 80s East-German punk and metal bands. He previously released a movie about Feeling B which he filmed in the 80s.

In the letter, he mentioned that he had completed a 15 hour rough cut, but wanted to cut it down into a three part series on DVD and release it worldwide. For a long time now, Hardt wanted to release this movie. When he finished filming Rammstein during their production, he gave the footage to the German TV channel MDR. They thought the material wasnt very interesting, and only used it for a 11 minute short report. Later on when the band became more popular, he suggested to complete the movie. Oddly enough, Rammstein´s management were for unknown reasons infuriated by this, and there were some extremely convoluted ownership arguments between Hardt and Rammstein´s ex-manager Emmanuel Fialik. At some point they even tried to sue him. This left Carl Hardt with a bad taste in his mouth, and he didn´t care about the project anymore. Later on, he heard about Rammstein rearranging their management staff. He then tried to get in touch with the band to settle down on a cooperation. However after 3 years of sending E-mails and calling record companies, he gave up. It seems like the current managers are still irritated at the idea that he owns highly valuable material from the band.

The letter which I mentioned earlier, was the last time I heard anything from Hardt. I occasionally spend each month some time to just pick up any fragments of information about the movie´s current status. Unlikely as it may seem, I made a breakthrough in Autumn 2014. I found a tiny microcopic advertisment in a Dresden newspaper which announced a closed screening for .... wait for it.... "1994 - The Rammstein Story" - Directed and presented by Carl G. Hardt. So maybe we will see his project surface in the near future.

Now here comes the ugly part. In Hollywood (or the movie business in general) there is a golden rule among producers and managers. If you discover that another studio is working on a movie that has a smiliar plot, setting or subject matter like your movie, you instantly start a race and finish your movie as quick as possible. The idea being that people will not bother to see two or more similar movies in a short period of time. So you have to get quickly finished so that people will watch your movie. A perfect example of this are all the movies about racism and slavery that came out in late 2012/ early 2013. In a short period of time "Lincoln", "12 Years a Slave", "Django Unchained" and "Mandela" were released. "Mandela" was the last one on the list and only made about 12 million dollars worldwide. It was considered to be the biggest box office flop of 2013. The reason behind this is very obvious. People were most likely just tired of watching so many depressing movies about racism.

Now I dont want to jump to any conclusions, but it seems like this is what Rammstein´s management are trying to do. They maybe want to steal all the attention from Hardt`s movie by releasing several live DVD`s and a full feature documentary in a short period of time, right before he releases his project. In this way, Hardt will fail to obtain the attention needed to distribute or finance the movie, since by then even many hardcore Rammstein fans are tired of all the films about the band being released.

I stress to note that everything written above is only a theory that I have. Maybe it is just a coincidence that Hardt´s independent documentary and Åkerlund´s official are arriving at the same time. Maybe the band is not aware of Hardt´s project. Maybe the managment is not that difficult at all. However, I do have to admit that a few things make me suspicious. In addition, the band itself once mentioned the fact that their managers can get a little strict. In the end I have to say that I don´t want to point any fingers, or blame anyone for anything. I just had some thoughts that i liked to share.

I am sorry for forcing you to read this much, but I had a lot to say about this topic. I also apologize for my grammatical errors and broken English (I am not a native speaker).

Last edited by Chrisss Nofff; 03-12-2015, 11:25 PM. Reason: No links to live performances on youtube (sorry, I forgot that).

Your take in this whole thing is defenitely breath-taking, and I gotta complement you for the brain-power you put into this (even if many things you say are just speculation). A memorable way to introduce yourself to this forum.

However, I think you are mixing up two different things redarding this movie/documentary, which is the part that addresses "rammstein in america" and the part about "rammstein movie". As odd as all these delays are, and despite all the different rumours that we have been getting, there is one thing that is becoming clear: the band is releasing their concert from New York 2010, their concert from Paris 2012, and a documentary about Rammstein in USA.

If there is going to be a documentary about Rammstein, it is going to revolve around their tours in the americas. This project was never rumoured to have Ackerlund as its director. Furthermore, what the rumours point out to be directed by Jonas Ackerlund, is the Rammstein *movie*, not the Rammstein *documentary*. In addition, Ackerlund was spotted in the Paris 2012 concert. This indicates that Ackerlund's movie is going to primarly showcase footage from Paris 2012, and not old footage featuring Rammstein.

Regarding your speculation about the management trying to rush the production of the movie to outshine Hardt, I think that is not the case for following reasons: a) as talented as Hardt may be, Rammstein can easely outshine and outsell his project, regardless of when it is released; b) your hollywood scenario does not apply to this situation because there are, at most, 2 similar projects in the works instead of 4, in which none of them are going to be seen my mainstream audiences, and c) rumour has it the movie was almost announced a year ago, but for some reason it got delayed. Not many fans payied attention to this rumour, but if it is true, the management is defenetely not competing with Hardt. They wouldn't delay the movie if they wanted to release it before Hardt.

Finally, you opened this thread in the wrong section. I moved it to a more appropriate one.
    Last edited by Snake; 01-17-2015, 05:28 AM.
    "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

Thank you so much for noticing me so quickly and correcting my mistake with my sloppy choice of posting. I am only a member since a couple of hours, and I already feel a warm welcoming.

As far as you're answer goes, I think I have to elaborate a bit more. Yes, I know that Åkerlund is working on the "Bercy 2012 DVD" . However, a couple of weeks ago I read at a French fan site that Åkerlund supposedly talked about a Rammstein movie with the magazine Vice. I have not found the actual source, and I do admit it was a little rushed of me to already interpret Åkerlund as the movie's director. Maybe our French friends misunderstood something as well.

I am also aware of the fact that Paul Landers mentioned a documentary in an interview in 2013. At that time I made sure not to get too excited, since he maybe just ment the Wacken documentary which had a few Rammstein clips. Furthermore, I know that it seems a little over-the-top to assume that the people surrounding Rammstein consider Hardt a serious threat to their movie's sucsess. However, I just dont get why the band has not reached out to Hardt and supported him in some way. I mean his work sounds so incredibly interesting. I guess I just feel sorry for the guy. It's almost ridiculous to think that he has been working on this thing for more than 20 years now.

But there is one thing that I am quite proud of. As far as I know Rammstein has millions of fans all around the world, but only a handful (probably just a couple of houndred) fans know about the Carl Hardt "Rammstein 1994" project. I think by starting a post about this, I might just increase the awarness of this project a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisss Nofff View Post
        Thank you so much for noticing me so quickly and correcting my mistake with my sloppy choice of posting. I am only a member since a couple of hours, and I already feel a warm welcoming.
        No problem, and yes, you are welcome amoung us.

As far as you're answer goes, I think I have to elaborate a bit more. Yes, I know that Åkerlund is working on the "Bercy 2012 DVD" . However, a couple of weeks ago I read at a French fan site that Åkerlund supposedly talked about a Rammstein movie with the magazine Vice. I have not found the actual source, and I do admit it was a little rushed of me to already interpret Åkerlund as the movie's director. Maybe our French friends misunderstood something as well.
        IF he addressed the project as a movie and not as a documentary, that is a strong sign that he probably is not involded in a Rammstein documentary. Everything points out to a Jonas Ackerlund movie, and a documentary about the band in USA (which we have no clue about who is directing it... perhaps it even is indeed Herzog?)

I am also aware of the fact that Paul Landers mentioned a documentary in an interview in 2013. At that time I made sure not to get too excited, since he maybe just ment the Wacken documentary which had a few Rammstein clips. Furthermore, I know that it seems a little over-the-top to assume that the people surrounding Rammstein consider Hardt a serious threat to their movie's sucsess. However, I just dont get why the band has not reached out to Hardt and supported him in some way. I mean his work sounds so incredibly interesting. I guess I just feel sorry for the guy. It's almost ridiculous to think that he has been working on this thing for more than 20 years now.
        There might still be some animosity amoung Hardt and the management, even if Filiak is no longer at the helm of it. At the other extreme, perhaps the new management tried to buy Hardt's footage, but he refused the offer. This is a strange situation, but I don't think these parties are competing with each other.

But there is one thing that I am quite proud of. As far as I know Rammstein has millions of fans all around the world, but only a handful (probably just a couple of houndred) fans know about the Carl Hardt "Rammstein 1994" project. I think by starting a post about this, I might just increase the awarness of this project a bit.
        This project definetely deserves more attention than what it is getting, but you would be able to raise more awareness during a more eventful period of the band's career. Besides, I don't think Hardt is taking full advantage of the power of the internet, social networks and crowdfunding. If he did, he would reach a lot more fans.
        Last edited by Snake; 01-17-2015, 06:18 AM.
        "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

Hi , welcome to the forum. This is a great way to introduce yourself.

I think you shouldn't miss the "Next Live DVD" thread, we have talked a lot about all this there. Here is the thread: http://affenknecht.com/forum/showthr...Next-Live-DVD/

As far as you're answer goes, I think I have to elaborate a bit more. Yes, I know that Åkerlund is working on the "Bercy 2012 DVD" . However, a couple of weeks ago I read at a French fan site that Åkerlund supposedly talked about a Rammstein movie with the magazine Vice. I have not found the actual source, and I do admit it was a little rushed of me to already interpret Åkerlund as the movie's director.
          We talked about it in the forum. And it's true he talked about a movie, not a DVD.

He gave that interview in November. This is our post: http://affenknecht.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post21236

Jonas Akerlund in an interview for VICE Polska published yesterday, has said he is working in a Rammstein film.

Translation by Google

Can you tell me about the film you are working on at the moment?
          Probably not, because it's still unofficial information. But my goal is to make this film next year. Currently I am finishing a video for Rammstein - large, conceptual image. It will be great! With Rammstein always works out great, a lot of fun on the set but it will be something big. Besides still do some advertising and other stuff. The last video I did for David Guetta. So I do not work only on one film. Although officially soon I will be able to confirm what I was waiting the most.
          Translation by Marek Piorko:
          "Jonas Akerlund received Camerimage award for his videoclip work - he appeared in Bygdoszcz few weeks ago to claim it. Regarding this, an interview for Vice Polska appeared, in which Akerlund says something about his current project. Allow me to translate:
          "Right now I am finishing a movie for Rammstein - a massive, conceptual image. It will be magnificent! You always have fun while working on set with Rammstein, but this will be great"."

Interview: http://www.vice.com/pl/read/wideoklipy-na-wieki
          Source:LIFAD on FB
          And I find very interesting RZK's interview for the Polish magazine Teraz Rock where he gave more information. Our post is here: http://affenknecht.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post21566

RICHARD KRUSPE TALKS ABOUT THE DVDS
          In a recent interview for the Polish magazine Teraz Rock, Richard Kruspe talked about the new album of Emigrate and shed some light on the release of the live DVDs.

“Rammstein for now is in a hiatus and all of us are doing other things. The keyboardist -Flake- is writing his book and Till -Lindemann- is recording his album. We meet once a year to come to agreements. This year (2015) we will release a new live album recorded in the MSG and also a documentary about Rammstein in America. Besides that, we will also release a DVD directed by Jonas Akerlund and recorded in Bercy -París- two years ago and it's totally different to the one of MSG”

The show of the Madison Square Garden was recorded on 11th December of 2010, after almost ten years of absence of Rammstein in the USA. The show represented a record for the band, because the tickets were completely sold out -more than 20,000 tickets- in less than 30 minutes. The director of the DVD was Matthew Ammos while the camera direction was in charge of Jimmy O´Donnell. The production of the show, and the documentary was in charge of Done & Dusted, They had already worked with the band in “Live aus Berlin” and “Völkeball”.
          Maybe I translated it myself, I'm not sure, the source I posted is in Spanish.

I think Hardt's work would be very appreciated between Rammstein fans if he finally publishes it.
          Last edited by Maya; 01-17-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Could it be when Jonas talks about a movie, he means a movielength feature, that will be released on dvd. Somehow I don't see it reaching cinemas outside Germany, and they are all using the words documentary and movia as synonyms, and we are reading way too much into the words?

As for the early material by Hardt, I don't think it can be published without the say so of the band. Sometimes myths are better stories than reality, and the guys may not be interested in getting it out, so to keep the myths alive. They seem to a very tight grip on what gets out, and have had from the beginning? But I would love to see it though.

Comment

@The Rose It's a movie, we have been listening about it since 2013, and I agree I can't imagine it in Spanish cinemas, maybe only one movie session and not sure it would be a success, outside Germany it could be a disaster.

Comment

Hi Chrisss! Welcome! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts, much of it was new to me. Don't be surprised by Snake's quick answer, there are only a few of us active on here right now so there are pretty good discussions from time to time.

Personally I think I would be more interested in a film containing historical Rammstein content, not just footage surrounding a concert or a tour. I'd like to see the progression of them as a band from the beginning to now. If that is the sort of thing Hardt is working on I'd be very supportive. However, I know we are more likely to get something just from a tour. Something encompassing the history of the band in a three part series would be incredible, most likely interesting to fans only, but let's face it. Our favorite band now sells vodka, gas can luggage, glass heads, and toasters. There will be fans who buy it.
                Last edited by EmeraldRose; 01-17-2015, 05:07 PM. Reason: just because I could

Comment

I think the band doesn't seem too thrilled to air very old material. Probably because they know you don't attract too many people with that, it's just for the die hard fans (not even the regulars would bother about old material, I reckon; and it would be some sort of hommage to the beginning of the band). It's from before their great succes, a part of which the majority of the fans now isn't really aware too much.
                  They also pointed out themselves quite often that they weren't very talented back than, the shows are wildly outdated now and although they respect their views from back then, it's quite weird and confronting when you watch it today (that was pretty much the common conception of the 2011 Making of Du Riechst So Gut).

@Chrisss Noff: great thread though! You make some solid assumptions IMO. However, assuming that Herzog would be interested in making a docu about them just because he said he would want to see them live again isn't entirely justified, I think. Although I can only hope you've guessed right.
                  Dort wo der Horizont
                  Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
                  Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
                  Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

I would like to direct a documentary about how the band keep us informed. So, it would be about 4 to 5 YEARS long and feature a lot of bored fans. It won't be shown anywhere outside of Wuppertal zoo, and will feature no subtitles.

Would anyone like to offer me some financial backing? I already have an offer of help from a Nigerian prince who I sent my bank details to. He seems to be taking his time getting back to me but I'm sure the £25000000 he promised me will be here soon.
                    Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Art in Heaven View Post
                      I would like to direct a documentary about how the band keep us informed. So, it would be about 4 to 5 YEARS long and feature a lot of bored fans. It won't be shown anywhere outside of Wuppertal zoo, and will feature no subtitles.

Would anyone like to offer me some financial backing? I already have an offer of help from a Nigerian prince who I sent my bank details to. He seems to be taking his time getting back to me but I'm sure the £25000000 he promised me will be here soon.
                      Anyone?

Life as art? Nah...that's been done.

Comment

Working...
                      X