Lindemann: Till's solo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Art in Heaven View Post
    I thought Ramadan was due to begin on the 18th.
    It is, but I said 2nd day - 19th June

Nevermind, let's stop off-topic XD

Comment

• Till, Peter and Matthias http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-KXd5j/ by Aram Radomsky

Source: https://www.facebook.com/aram.radoms...06822248905303

Comment

• Praise Abort

Since it's been a little while since the "Praise Abort" video has been released, I thought I could say what I think about it. I have seen the video quite a few times, and I have therefore a few ideas about it which I would like to share.

First of all, how are we supposed to look at this video? It's a common question when we talk about Rammstein or other Till Lindemann related art. It can be hard to tell if there is something serious behind it, or if it is just some silly comedy. With Rammstein, I always seem to find a serious backstory to every song, even in the newer songs like "Mein Land" and "Pussy". With this project however, Till and Peter made it clear that they were often just writing funny stuff just for pure entertaiment. In this way, I think we can't really take this 100% serious. However, this does not mean that Lindemann isn't refering to some interesting topics in this song.

*Let's not forget that these are only my interpretations. I am no saying these were the actual intentions of the musicians/director and I could be completely wrong about everything.

Still, what is "Praise Abort" about? The easiest thing to do, is just simply starting by summing up everything you can see happening in the video:

Summary of the video

It starts with a man telling about his small "accidents" which led to a lot of kids and a lot of work. Till embodies this man, and is dancing around in a white dress, while Peter has a pig-face and is "playing" the piano. This "person" who we hear talking in the lyrics, starts complaining about the fact that he isn't able to buy what he wants, due to the kids costing him much. In addition, he is not fond of the work it takes to raise children. Suddenley, a "pig-man"-man version of this man kicks him over and starts singing the chorus. In the background we see a giant sign saying "Praise Abort" while several ballerinas are dancing along. Later on, we see a pig-woman(Till again) and a pig-man (played by Peter) who live in a dirty messy apartment with a lot of kids. The "person" goes on about hating kids, and having to stop having femal intercourse in order to not make anyone pregnant again.

After the second chorus, we see pigs walking on clouds towards a bright light. For many, this resembles the arrivel to heaven after death. The "pig-man" from the beginning goes then to the "pig-woman" and kills her with some kind of pistol-like device strapped to a baby stoller (at least it looks like this to me). Near the end, everyone is dancing and jumping along to the final chorus. Just like most Zoran Behic music videos, this video ends with some kind of outro music and a short closing scene. In this instance, we get a blues version of the chorus playing, while Till walks up to the dead "pig-woman" and picks up a piglet. He pets and plays with it for a while before going off stage.

The pigs

The first thing everyone seemed to be confused by, was the pigs. What does abortion have to do with pigs? When I saw the video for the first time, I immidiantley had an idea of what they were hinting about. I remembered as a kid in Germany, whenever I would make a mess my father would call me a "ferkel" which means "piglet". An adult making a mess can also be called a "Schwein" which means "pig", but that expression is used in may other languages as well. In addition, an expression for a mess or something dirty is "schweinerei" which means "pig-ery". Since both Till and Zoran are German, they might have thought about these expressions when deciding to act as dirty pigs in the video, and have the piglets be the "kids".

The pig metaphor might also have a different meaning. In Germany, anti-abortion demonstrations have not been as big as in other countries. However, they are still present. One repeatedly used term by the protesters is that abortion resembles slaughter. Thereby aborting fetuses can be compared to treating humans like animals that are being slaughtered when we don't want them anyomore. Therfore some anti-abortion protesters would call abortion supporters for slaughteres, who treat humans like pigs that can be slaughtered.

The "pig-man", the "pig-woman" and Peter TÃĪgtgren's roles

If we assume that what I have written earlier about the pig-metaphor is true, the "pig-man" who sings the choruses might represent all the dirty, messy, expensive and annoying aspects of having children which the person in the lyrics wants to avoid. However this "pig-man" isn't happy about being aborted, and strikes back. In fact, he is so angry that he wants to perform a reversed abortion by aborting his mother. Which is why he is getting a reversed-abortion device which is ironically strapped to a baby stroller, and kills his mother right before the last chorus. The fact that he sings the chorus, makes actually sense. He hates everything and everyone because no one likes him.

The "pig-woman" and Peter who plays her husband/boyfriend are potraying to messy lazy parents who hate their kids and wish they would have aborted them. In this context however, they are the messy pigs, since they could have avoided this whole situation by using a condom in the first place.

The ballerinas

I didn't really have an idea for the ballerinas and the giant "Praise Abort" sign at first. I think it's more of a parody of the anti-abortion protests. Instead of prostesting against abortion, dancers and singers are making a parade to promote abortion. They simply make a joke based on contrast.

The ending

The ending spawned many discussions about Till Lindemann's true thoughts on abortion. In my opinion, I don't think Till has any special thoughts about abortion. He is probably fine with the german abortion laws, if not he probably wouldn't make a video like this, and I am also sure that he loves his children. I guess the ending is nothing to be over-analyzed. Seeing Till kuddling with a baby pig is just a fun sweet teaspoon of sugar after the explosion of grotesque weirdness that we saw earlier in the video.

*Let's not forget that these are only my interpretations.
        I am no saying these were the actual intentions of the musicians/director and I could be completely wrong about everything.

All in all, I think Till did not mean anything serious with this song. He has admitted that the inspiration of the lyrics came from a friend of Till with 7 kids. The song is therefore in my opinion just a dark fantazy of what many parents maybe sometimes wish to do. Till loves to explore stories like this.

As for the "shock-factor" people were certainley suprised by this video, but I don't think it will cause major controversy. A few people and some newspapers have written some nasty comments, but that's all for now. I think the last time Till really SHOCKED people was with "Mein Teil". The german media wouldn't shut up about this song for an entire year, and Rammstein were pulled of some major radio-stations because ofthat song. The "Ich tu dir weh"-thing was nasty as well, but it went over too quick as far as I remember.
        Last edited by Chrisss Nofff; 06-13-2015, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Chopin View Post
          It is, but I said 2nd day - 19th June

Nevermind, let's stop off-topic XD
          Sorry Rocky I got mixed up. Amazon UK aren't releasing the album till the 22nd. curse them!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrisss Nofff View Post
            Praise Abort

Since it's been a little while since the "Praise Abort" video has been released, I thought I could say what I think about it. I have seen the video quite a few times, and I have therefore a few ideas about it which I would like to share.

First of all, how are we supposed to look at this video? It's a common question when we talk about Rammstein or other Till Lindemann related art. It can be hard to tell if there is something serious behind it, or if it is just some silly comedy. With Rammstein, I always seem to find a serious backstory to every song, even in the newer songs like "Mein Land" and "Pussy". With this project however, Till and Peter made it clear that they were often just writing funny stuff just for pure entertaiment. In this way, I think we can't really take this 100% serious. However, this does not mean that Lindemann isn't refering to some interesting topics in this song.

*Let's not forget that these are only my interpretations. I am no saying these were the actual intentions of the musicians/director and I could be completely wrong about everything.

Still, what is "Praise Abort" about? The easiest thing to do, is just simply starting by summing up everything you can see happening in the video:

Summary of the video

It starts with a man telling about his small "accidents" which led to a lot of kids and a lot of work. Till embodies this man, and is dancing around in a white dress, while Peter has a pig-face and is "playing" the piano. This "person" who we hear talking in the lyrics, starts complaining about the fact that he isn't able to buy what he wants, due to the kids costing him much. In addition, he is not fond of the work it takes to raise children. Suddenley, a "pig-man"-man version of this man kicks him over and starts singing the chorus. In the background we see a giant sign saying "Praise Abort" while several ballerinas are dancing along. Later on, we see a pig-woman(Till again) and a pig-man (played by Peter) who live in a dirty messy apartment with a lot of kids. The "person" goes on about hating kids, and having to stop having femal intercourse in order to not make anyone pregnant again.

After the second chorus, we see pigs walking on clouds towards a bright light. For many, this resembles the arrivel to heaven after death. The "pig-man" from the beginning goes then to the "pig-woman" and kills her with some kind of pistol-like device strapped to a baby stoller (at least it looks like this to me). Near the end, everyone is dancing and jumping along to the final chorus. Just like most Zoran Behic music videos, this video ends with some kind of outro music and a short closing scene. In this instance, we get a blues version of the chorus playing, while Till walks up to the dead "pig-woman" and picks up a piglet. He pets and plays with it for a while before going off stage.

The pigs

The first thing everyone seemed to be confused by, was the pigs. What does abortion have to do with pigs? When I saw the video for the first time, I immidiantley had an idea of what they were hinting about. I remembered as a kid in Germany, whenever I would make a mess my father would call me a "ferkel" which means "piglet". An adult making a mess can also be called a "Schwein" which means "pig", but that expression is used in may other languages as well. In addition, an expression for a mess or something dirty is "schweinerei" which means "pig-ery". Since both Till and Zoran are German, they might have thought about these expressions when deciding to act as dirty pigs in the video, and have the piglets be the "kids".

The pig metaphor might also have a different meaning. In Germany, anti-abortion demonstrations have not been as big as in other countries. However, they are still present. One repeatedly used term by the protesters is that abortion resembles slaughter. Thereby aborting fetuses can be compared to treating humans like animals that are being slaughtered when we don't want them anyomore. Therfore some anti-abortion protesters would call abortion supporters for slaughteres, who treat humans like pigs that can be slaughtered.

The "pig-man", the "pig-woman" and Peter TÃĪgtgren's roles

If we assume that what I have written earlier about the pig-metaphor is true, the "pig-man" who sings the choruses might represent all the dirty, messy, expensive and annoying aspects of having children which the person in the lyrics wants to avoid. However this "pig-man" isn't happy about being aborted, and strikes back. In fact, he is so angry that he wants to perform a reversed abortion by aborting his mother. Which is why he is getting a reversed-abortion device which is ironically strapped to a baby stroller, and kills his mother right before the last chorus. The fact that he sings the chorus, makes actually sense. He hates everything and everyone because no one likes him.

The "pig-woman" and Peter who plays her husband/boyfriend are potraying to messy lazy parents who hate their kids and wish they would have aborted them. In this context however, they are the messy pigs, since they could have avoided this whole situation by using a condom in the first place.

The ballerinas

I didn't really have an idea for the ballerinas and the giant "Praise Abort" sign at first. I think it's more of a parody of the anti-abortion protests. Instead of prostesting against abortion, dancers and singers are making a parade to promote abortion. They simply make a joke based on contrast.

The ending

The ending spawned many discussions about Till Lindemann's true thoughts on abortion. In my opinion, I don't think Till has any special thoughts about abortion. He is probably fine with the german abortion laws, if not he probably wouldn't make a video like this, and I am also sure that he loves his children. I guess the ending is nothing to be over-analyzed. Seeing Till kuddling with a baby pig is just a fun sweet teaspoon of sugar after the explosion of grotesque weirdness that we saw earlier in the video.

*Let's not forget that these are only my interpretations.
            I am no saying these were the actual intentions of the musicians/director and I could be completely wrong about everything.

All in all, I think Till did not mean anything serious with this song. He has admitted that the inspiration of the lyrics came from a friend of Till with 7 kids. The song is therefore in my opinion just a dark fantazy of what many parents maybe sometimes wish to do. Till loves to explore stories like this.

As for the "shock-factor" people were certainley suprised by this video, but I don't think it will cause major controversy. A few people and some newspapers have written some nasty comments, but that's all for now. I think the last time Till really SHOCKED people was with "Mein Teil". The german media wouldn't shut up about this song for an entire year, and Rammstein were pulled of some major radio-stations because ofthat song. The "Ich tu dir weh"-thing was nasty as well, but it went over too quick as far as I remember.
            All a bit far-fetched for me!
            Last edited by Journeyman; 06-13-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Chrisss!

I liked your analysis, and think you show some valid thoughts. The pigs going loose also reminded me of "Schweinerei", and also a bit about being lucky in a happy way (in german "Schwein haben").

I don't have a clue either what the ballernas mean. Their working is however creating something "pure", esthetically refined, in harmony with the white background, creating a strong contast to the dirty context and the vile place where the pig-man fornicates.
              Dort wo der Horizont
              Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
              Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
              Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

• ^Yeah, but the song isn't in German, so I don't think those German thoughts make much sense. Not convinced.

Comment

• Despite the song is in English, it does not mean that the meaning of the song cannot be related to Germany in someway, or maybe something to do with Till's poetry, but I doubt it has anything to do with his book of poems.

Also Chris, I like your way of thinking about the song, especially with the "incidents" of Till with other women, causing birth of little piggies.
                  Ich tu' dir weh, tut mir nicht Leid, das tut dir gut

Comment

• Oh and, the voting is over now, sadly Praise Abort is only 2nd place, but still a respectable place!

Comment

• ^No that was last week, this week Lindemann ended as #5 with only 9.54%

Comment

• But...but... awh.

Comment

• Comment

• Tomaso Baldessarini said that all of his press photos he made of Lindemann, were supposed to be released by the 19th of June. This seems to be true, since more and more Lindemann press photos have been released lately. However, according to his facebook page, on June 19th there is actually going to be a big vernissage of Tomaso Baldessarini's and Brian Adam's photos, along with the photos which are in the Skills in Pills booklet. Till Lindemann is also said to maybe () be there.

He wrote on his page: "Am 19.6 bin ich Teil der Vernissage/Austellung in Dresden , ich werde unter anderem mit Bryan Adams und Till Lindemann ausgestellt das ist wirklich eine Ehre ! Bitte zahlreich erscheinen"

*Translation: "On 19th of June I am going to be part of the vernissage/exibition in Dresden, I will be displayed among Brian Adams and Till Lindemann which is a really great honor! Please show up in numbers"

Comment

• ^It's the same gallery that also held the first exhibition of Till's and Matthias Matthies' work when the In Stillen Nachten were published. https://www.facebook.com/events/1667759986788103/

Comment

• This week's Battle Royale (let's do better OK?): http://loudwire.com/battle-royale-to...down-top-spot/

Comment

Working...
                                X