Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya
    replied

I have been listening to Buckethead all the morning, I just played the most popular, thanks for sharing.

And while I was listening to it, suddenly something really familiar:

Leave a comment:

• Waidmann
    replied
    @Maya: Buckethead is actually a solo artist, not really a band. But to be honest, I don't know any albums of the guy, just some songs. I knew Buckethead as a former member of Guns N' Roses and through that I learned some songs of him, just like this one.

@You: Well, several songs work relaxing, I guess. Several others indeed really don't. And I get how the music can be moving, but not for me, which might say more about me than the music. The things they evoke don't apeal to me, I reckon.
    And the new-age remark wasn't about the intruments. It was more about the spiritual, alternative dimension, with symbolism and evokations, suggestions of underlying themes. Those things rarely work on me, I'm afraid. But it's good it means something to you.
    Variation might be there, but not in the way I would like it. Sorry for that . It's a whole subgenre that's lost to me anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    Well, after a working weekend a fun one. You'll have lots of fun next week

Leave a comment:

• The Rose
    replied
    ^Yea, I've got 300 students starting tomorrow, and only got the last of the course-material Friday. It has to be edited and on-line when the students start. But it's mostly done now, and I'm home now and can do the rest from here. It should be no more than an hour's work. Semester-start is always a hassle, but I can take time of at another time, my job is flexible that way, as long as it gets done and deadlines are kept. But now, I'll have a coffee and a little nap

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    Working on Sunday too?

Leave a comment:

• The Rose
    replied
    Originally posted by Waidmann View Post
    And anyways, music whitout vocals almost never touches me. A exception is Buckethead's music. I'll give you a link to try it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adV8-_hgL4g . Feel free to tell me what you think! (after all I put the effort in listening to yours ).
    But thx for sharing anyways. It's through threads like these I discover things I'll afterwards find hard to miss in my life .
    The Buckethead track you linked to here is actually quite good, I'll listen to some more later. Now I'm off to the office

Leave a comment:

• You
    replied
    relaxing? =o. maybe one of those i posted
    and i think its more old-age than most of the things... im pretty sure they only or mostly use very old analog devices, thats why a lot of songs have kindof a killed, dead and old sound. even though that might not be what you meant...

and they do have some surprises. like if you read that thing i posted which is about An eagle in your mind.
    i think their songs are really thought-out, i might even assume that they calculate the notes and other things mathematically, and they even have a track called Music is math.
    they often have a lot of variations too, even though they might appear repetitive.
    these are mostly underneath, o r how to say, things though, like, in skyliner i didnt even notice for a while how strings come in towards the end.
    not too prominent things. like, here is a cover of EYDIAB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mjPcJYx0uI
    there ARE some things to play in it =o (i think they didnt play the strings at the start of the part after intro, and other things towards the end)

uuh anywais... their songs are different. not every of them are repetitive or somethings. beware the friendly stranger doesnt even have the same pattern two times, and jacquard causeway is even more varied.. but crappy sounding.
    so yeps, i think the focus isnt on sounding good or varied, but sounding how it should sound to.. convey a meaning, or how to say.
    like.. t o create a base, for some thoughts, or whatevers. like an art that looks crappy but makes you think somewhat.g
    uuh well i dont even know why im defending them, or whatever im doing, when i dont really like them, or their stuffs either

its late so byes =o yep i listened to your thingy. dont know what to write about it, kindof good i guess.. i mean, uh.. yeps so i kindof like it
    and there are a lot of instrumental which are some of the best things i know...
    like, most game musics are instrumentals too, and a lot are better than something musicians would create to sell individually

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    Originally posted by Waidmann View Post
    Are you talking about Boards of Canada? Because I don't know any records of them actually.
    No, I was talking about Buckethead's music. I listened to Boards of Canada last year and they're not my kind of music (http://affenknecht.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post21491)

Leave a comment:

• Waidmann
    replied
    Originally posted by Maya View Post
    @Waidmann mmm I've liked it, I will listen to it, I've seen on spotify they have lots of albums. Do you think I should begin with one in particular?
    Are you talking about Boards of Canada? Because I don't know any records of them actually.

Didn't understand you quiche-remark at first XD.

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    @Waidmann mmm I've liked it, I will listen to it, I've seen on spotify they have lots of albums. Do you think I should begin with one in particular?

Well I haven't used all of it in the Quiche, so yes there's more. :P

Leave a comment:

• Waidmann
    replied
    Originally posted by You View Post
    not like anyone cares:
    The only no-caring going on is you not caring about anything we say, especially if it's trying to comfort you. It doesn't matter what we say, you already made up your mind. That's exactly why I stopped reacting on most of your posts.

But to prove you're wrong and show you that there's no way you can say I don't care: I just listened to the songs you've posted about (even had to search for two by myself, as it was removed from youtube). And I must honestly say it's really not my cup of tea. I can imagine it works relaxing and therapeuting for many, but for me, it's a bit boring new age-stuff. I can dig more quiet calm music, but it should have more variation, surprises to me. For me it stays on the surface, it's more "estranging" for me than apealing. Maybe it expresses feelings and phenomena I can't relate to. To me it sounds either too dreamy, vague or just very weird and even slightly disturbing (like that Salade Fingers- thingy there). And anyways, music whitout vocals almost never touches me. A exception is Buckethead's music. I'll give you a link to try it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adV8-_hgL4g . Feel free to tell me what you think! (after all I put the effort in listening to yours ).
    But thx for sharing anyways. It's through threads like these I discover things I'll afterwards find hard to miss in my life .
    Last edited by Waidmann; 01-31-2015, 08:32 PM. Reason: Is there any more bacon?

Leave a comment:

• You
    replied
    didnt notice before that i double posted...
    wells anyway
    here is what i wrote on youtube about it, not like anyone cares:

i imagine the first part as present , like an old man sitting, thinking about his past life. its slower, and part of the melody is just like the loudest lead part of the parts after this intro. there is also a kind of transition after the intro, which also has a kind of sound which makes it seem even clearer that its a transition. i imagine its a transition from present to past, or just thinking about the past. like the old man now thinks his life through, what he lived through. its much more energetic, much more full of hope, and as i said that loud lead part sounds like a part of the intro, so i think its intentional and they are related. the song ends in a much more sad sounding way, or tragic maybe.i think the title means, that no matter what you do, it will just fly away like a balloon some day... like how it did to me

Leave a comment:

• You
    replied
    so i guess noone wants me to write about what i think of 'Everything you do is a balloon' =o
    or how to say.
    the first songs are the ones i like the most. becouse they are the uh.. "naturally" scariest sounding songs i know of, or just the darkest sounding.
    i think their songs arent that good to listen to, i mean not too good sounding, but more symbolical with the music or how to say. like the last one i linked. i think it sounds especially bad, and the tempo the percussion things give sound off too, but i think it has a reason too

i left out a song some might know:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwkOhdE60w
    i remember this from way back =o

and this too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zKARkpDW4

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    Well, I listened to them yesterday night and today, my first reaction wasn't very good, but I liked more the last songs so I decided to give them another try today, definitely it's not my kind of music, but it's not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Waidmann
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake View Post
    @You are way too pessimist even for my standards, man.
    + 1 , I'm with Snake on this one.
    @You: You're lately always saying sth and than you go like "well, no one should read this, and I shouldn't have written it", and than you even don't want to listen to positive comments and conclude with "but you don't care anyway". C'mon, get a grip, man!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X