Learning German

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edelweiss View Post
    Waidmann ~ I will have to check them out.
    I was wondering why is das mädchen is neutral ? Is it because girl is already feminine ? (Yeah I am the one that asks all the crazy questions)
    Well, you asked for the boring grammatical history- background, so now I'm giving it to you :
    First reason: in many languages, any description for a child is neutral (like in dutch, most roman languages,...). Second reason: in the german language women were often objectified as in the medieval, mainly religious-tainted reality they were inferior to the man. That leaves us with a few neutral words like "das Weib", "das Weibsbild" or even "das Frauenzimmer", which all mean "women".
    All to read in Hentschel/Weydts Handbuch der deutschen Grammatik! It's an interesting (though expensive) book, but it's about the german grammatics in general (not really giving rules).
    Last edited by Waidmann; 05-26-2012, 09:35 PM. Reason: I felt special
    Dort wo der Horizont
    Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
    Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
    Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

Thank you for explaining it to me. I am a curious sort.

Comment

Maya ~ take singing lessons. I need to take bass guitar lessons.
        Not interested and the world will thank it to me, each time I would practise Hard Rain. But you must begin yours, you are interested

Comment

Originally posted by Waidmann View Post
          Well, you asked for the boring grammatical history- background, so now I'm giving it to you :
          First reason: in many languages, any description for a child is neutral (like in dutch, most roman languages,...). Second reason: in the german language women were often objectified as in the medieval, mainly religious-tainted reality they were inferior to the man. That leaves us with a few neutral words like "das Weib", "das Weibsbild" or even "das Frauenzimmer", which all mean "women".
          All to read in Hentschel/Weydts Handbuch der deutschen Grammatik! It's an interesting (though expensive) book, but it's about the german grammatics in general (not really giving rules).
          http://www.amazon.com/Handbuch-deuts...8071629&sr=8-5 Is this the book you are talking about? I saw a few listings for $120, but $30 doesn't seem that bad for a book you think so highly of. I love books that can teach but are also interesting at the same time.

Comment

Last edited by Waidmann; Yesterday at 08:35 PM. Reason: I felt special
            Did you????

Comment

Originally posted by Maya View Post
              Not interested and the world will thank it to me, each time I would practise Hard Rain. But you must begin yours, you are interested
              I hate to see you put yourself down.
              I have had an Ibanez bass with a mini amp forever. I decided I really must start to play it.

Comment

I have some gifts, singing is not one of them.

You should if you have time, if not maybe it would be better waiting a little.

Comment

I am glad you have good talents
                  Yeah lately I have been inspired by R+ to learn German and play my bass. I don't know why this year they brought that reaction out. It must have been time. Usually bands I just get into inspire me, this time it is one I have listened to a long time. It is like Till or RZK poked me to arise !

Comment

Originally posted by saeda View Post
                    http://www.amazon.com/Handbuch-deuts...8071629&sr=8-5 Is this the book you are talking about? I saw a few listings for $120, but $30 doesn't seem that bad for a book you think so highly of. I love books that can teach but are also interesting at the same time.
                    Yes, that's the very same one and it costed me 35 euros (pherhaps not that much money but as I was a student when I had to buy it with my own money I always considered it expensive). It's one of the rare grammatic books I really find interesting to read.
                    Dort wo der Horizont

Comment

Originally posted by Maya View Post
                      Did you????
                      Hahaha, I really didn't know what to put there , but I really wanted to say something. I often just type something there.
                      Dort wo der Horizont

Comment

Yes, that's the very same one and it costed me 35 euros (pherhaps not that much money but as I was a student when I had to buy it with my own money I always considered it expensive). It's one of the rare grammatic books I really find interesting to read.
                        Cool, it will definitely be the next book I buy then. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

That is expensive for a book. I'm in school now and support myself so I understand where you are coming from.
                          I am so glad Amerika is knocking the Euros down. I always thought €25 was 50 USD but I guess it is like 37 USD.

Comment

I am so glad Amerika is knocking the Euros down. I always thought €25 was 50 USD but I guess it is like 37 USD.

well
                            i could say that im really not glad(and dont know why you should be), but we still dont use euros here =o so i dont think it really concerns me if thats how to say

Comment

Originally posted by You View Post
                              well
                              i could say that im really not glad(and dont know why you should be), but we still dont use euros here =o so i dont think it really concerns me if thats how to say
                              Well I personally am glad since I'm in the US, heh. I would never throw away $30 for sure, but $30 for a good book is a worthy investment.

Comment

Originally posted by You View Post
                                well
                                I am glad because it isn't as expensive as England. I had no idea. I found out cuz my friend had a LIFAD membership and told me I could use it and I asked about the conversion and she told me. I want to order a R+ skirt I saw online. I think with a membership you get a discount on items.

Comment

Working...
                                X