No announcement yet.

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just created a thread for "Learning German".

http://affenknecht.com/forum/showthr...earning-German

I hope that helps a bit, and please, use it!
    «The trouble with the world is that the stupid is cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt»
    Bertrand Russell.

Comment

On http://gutenberg.spiegel.de. I'll highlight the best ones for beginners:

Franz Kafka - Die Verwandlung (a bit long, but not very difficult)
      Franz Kafka - Vor dem Gesetz (very short, quite easy - you can find it in his work "26 Erzählungen")
      E.T.A. Hoffmann - Die Bergwerke zu Falun (long, but not too difficult)
      Ludwig Tieck - Der blonde Eckbert (short (about 8 pages in book form) but not very difficult, one of my favorite stories of all time)
      Heinrich Hoffmann - Struwelpeter (very short amusing stories, perfect for the beginner; Kapitel 6 was the inspiration for Rammstein's Hilf Mir)
      Robert Walser - Zwei kleine Märchen (on http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37579...-h.htm#Page_49 you can find it, it's very very short)
      Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Das Märchen (not too long, but very metaphorical)
      Heinrich von Kleist - Das Erdbeben in Chili (a bit more difficult than the rest but not very long) or Die heilige Cäcilie (shorter and simpler than the previous one)

Gutenberg only supplies stories that are at least 100 years old (with a few exceptions), so more recent stuff you should look up elsewhere. Such short stories from the 20th century I can recommend are:
      - Hanns Heins Ewers: Die Spinne (about 12 pages)
      - Heinrich Böll: Wanderer, kommst du nach Spa... (about 9 pages)
      - Thomas Mann: Luischen (about 12 pages) or Tristan (about 20 pages)
      - Alfred Döblin: Die Ermordung einer Butterblume (about 20 pages maximum)
      - Friedrich Dürrenmatt: Romulus der Große (about 90 pages, but all in dialogues, so its reads as quickly as the above ones)
      Dort wo der Horizont
      Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
      Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
      Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

Thank you very much Waidmann... I will take a look at lunchtime, and I will try to send it to my ebook reader
        «The trouble with the world is that the stupid is cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt»
        Bertrand Russell.

Comment

Waidmann...I got those books from my German teacher x) awesomeness!

Comment

Thank you Waidmann and Jorge !
            Säda I have a skpe and would love to do it but don't know how. I think I need a microphone n camera.

Comment

I have Skype!

Comment

When I learn how to use it we can skype each other.

Currently I am reading Complete German Grammar and Essentials Of Human Anatomy And Physiology.

Comment

I've been on a Stephen King marathon lately. I've read The Stand, Firestarter, and The Shining. Now I'm reading Carrie. Man, that guy can write!

Comment

Everyone here is far cleverer than me, i just read Kerrang and Metal Hammer and sloppy romantic novels although i do read Peter James detective books, they are based in Brighton so i can relate to him.
                    The saying is "You dont know what you have got till its gone" the truth is "You know what you had, you just did not know you would lose it" !!

Comment

That's something with taste not cleverness....

Comment

Dont say that RBF ! I wrote your name with a K before, I'm ditsy at times. I also like to read vampire books. Along with my school books I am reading Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris, and am almost finished with it. Also reading interviews by a certain hot man !

Comment

I have just read that Ray Bradbury has passed away. He wrote some of my favourite books, including "Martian Chronicles", a book that I read for the first time when I was 13 or 14 and I can say it changed my views in many things, and helped me to face the difficult years I had ahead.

What a fine writer, now that more and more literaly crap take over the shelves in the bookstores...

Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451 are two books that, if you haven't read, you HAVE TO.
                          Bertrand Russell.

Comment

That is so sad Jorge ! I love F 451 whenever it is on telly I watch it and I read it in school.

Comment

A sad passing. One of the greatest Science fiction writers ever.

Comment

Originally posted by wasp85 View Post
                                I've been on a Stephen King marathon lately. I've read The Stand, Firestarter, and The Shining. Now I'm reading Carrie. Man, that guy can write!
                                Indeed a legitimite noble prize winner! I didn't read anything from him 'till a couple of months ago, thinking I wouldn't like this quite main stream writer, but he turns out to be one of the better I've ever read! I'm finishing up King's Dark Tower series now (I'm halfway the 7th and last book now) and it simply blew me away. He's writer I'll keep my eye on now. I'll definetly read the books you named here. I suggest you one day look into the Dark Tower series, for it has always been called his masterwork (by King AND the reviewers).
                                Dort wo der Horizont
                                Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
                                Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
                                Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

Working...
                                X