No announcement yet.

Whats on your mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^I am more worried about what Zack Snyder is going to deliver with BvS than I am about Star Wars. JJ Abrahams might over indulge in lens flare, but Zack Snyder has a peachant for movies that are visually awesome, but lackluster in everything else.
    "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

• ^ I agree completely, and that's why I think 300 is his best movie. That movie was driven by visuals and aestatices, therefore it worked quite well.

Comment

• Thanks again guys! I am really very close now. I need to ask some advice though, from people who are outside my immediate circle.

I finally heard back from my adviser on my most recent draft, and the good news is he's ready to start talking grades (yay!). He told me I can leave it as is, and it would get a B. Or I can continue to add more depth to the topic (pretty much every section) and work it up towards an A. Basically, it's a good paper, and probably ok for submission to my company as a general educational report, but in terms of (his words) the capstone to my graduate degree, it isn't quite there yet.

Here's my dilemma. This paper and the 45 hours left at my internship are the last things before I can graduate. Also, I've had horrible neck pain and a migraine that will not go away, even after pain pills from the doctor, stretching and trying to relax the muscles, and a massage. The fact that I managed to pass my exam even through this pain is rather astounding to me. I seriously didn't think I was going to pass.

So, I really don't know if I have it in me right now to keep going on this paper. The last draft I submitted was 29 pages. I'm not sure I can physically do it at this point, much less mentally.

I asked my husband, and he asked me what is my goal out of all of this. I told him it's to graduate with my master's so I can continue my career. His answer was well there you go, if you leave it as is, you will graduate.

But I know me. If I leave it, I will always wonder and regret and wish I had done it differently.

So, I'm not sure if I should look after my physical and mental well being, or keep working on this stupid paper just because I am stubborn.

Comment

• Is a higher mark worth it, if the cost is tour ruined health? You can still work in your field, you'll have more time with your family. For the last two years you've worked your a** off, maybe now is the time to give it a rest? I remember how it was, when I were at university, you always have just one more idea, but eventually it's time to say enough.

After graduation you can still write and publish articles. You have chosen a subject not well explored, I'm sure others will want to hear about it. So save your energy for now, and go on and enjoy it's over. You deserve it

Comment

• ^You know yourself better than anybody else. If it will chase you, and you will regret it, go for that A, I know you've done a really big effort and you deserve it, but if you can't think cause of that pain or if it makes you feel worse, let it go, a B is great mark and it's not important. You deserve to rest, you'll have another chances.

Comment

• I am horrible at giving the right advises, so first of all I am going to say that your own opinion and the opinion from the people who have read the paper should in my opinion be the only opinions which should effect your final decision.

That being said, you could rest for a few hours to get a clear head and then read through it a few final times. You could also add some paragraphs here and there. Making huge changes is a big risk considering how little time you have left. Anyway, these are only my two cents. I haven't even seen a university from the inside.

That being said, remember what I said in the beginning.

Whatever choice you make, I wish only the best for you
              Last edited by Chrisss Nofff; 04-18-2015, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• I will admit that I'm leaning towards just being done. At this point, especially with the likelihood of getting a B on this project, I am literally done. Three more weeks of internship hours and then graduation.

Getting a B will lower my average, but I'm already employed with the company I plan to stay with, so not having a 4.0 average really means nothing. In fact, getting a B on the independent study will not affect my career in any way. I've already shown the company what I can do, it's just a matter of having the extra time and energy to make the next steps in my career.

On the other hand, I work exclusively on a computer all day long and having neck and back issues will be a real problem.

Argh. I just feel like getting a B is sort of a failure when I know I can put the A level material together. Sometimes I hate needing things to be perfect all the time. It makes me crazy.

I think I need to stop obsessing about it and just let it go and be done. It's a difference of a letter on a paper, and really the only words on there that will matter are "degree conferred". Which will happen with either letter...

Comment

• ^ Good that you have made a final decision!

That being said, regarding your "everything needs to be perfect"-problem, I have had that before. Nowadays however, I think like this:

Whatever you do, however much time you spend, there will always be a 6-year old chinese boy doing it twice as fast and twice as good.

Comment

• Now that you have your decision, don't look back. And congratulations for your paper!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maya View Post
                      Now that you have your decision, don't look back. And congratulations for your paper!!!!
                      Exactly! Now: Take a deep breath, exhale and say: Yeaaaaaa, I'm done!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrisss Nofff View Post
                        Whatever you do, however much time you spend, there will always be a 6-year old chinese boy doing it twice as fast and twice as good.

Originally posted by Maya View Post
                        Now that you have your decision, don't look back. And congratulations for your paper!!!!
                        Originally posted by The Rose View Post
                        Exactly! Now: Take a deep breath, exhale and say: Yeaaaaaa, I'm done!

Thanks for the input guys. If nothing else, at least I don't feel like I'm just being lazy.

Comment

• Strange day today. This morning I stepped out from work to buy something. When I came back 15 minutes later the place crawled with police in bulletproof vests and assault weapons! When I asked one what was going one, he only said: Hopefully nothing. I then said that meeting this sight just outside my building weren't very reassuring, he then said: Oh that's not the impression we try to give, I hope it makes you feel safe. I can only add, they didn't achieve their goal, I felt rather unsettled.

Later I found out that some foreign dignitary were holding a meeting in the building just across from ours. I felt more relaxed and secure when the workday were over and I left the premises.

So how was your Monday?

Comment

• :O

I can't imagine seeing a bunch of cops outside my building like that would be reassuring. And I would definitely be wanting to get out of work as soon as possible!

It was definitely a Monday, I will give it that. Spent the day at my internship. Did one assessment in the AM, and then the one I was supposed to do at 1pm for another client (who by the way had been in the building since about 7:30am) left like 5 minutes before 1 and didn't come back. Probably was just looking for someplace warm to hang out for awhile..and I'm pretty sure they were still high. It would not have been the best for an assessment anyway, but maybe they will come back another time. Mostly a very slow day.

I've been ready to go to sleep for about the past 2 hours but have to wait until the kids will go to bed. And the oldest one gets home. Hoping to start sleeping better...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

• There's some sort of fluffy white stuff blowing horizontally outside my window. Clearly it can't be snow because it is nearly May. And yet...it is not pollen. :P

Comment

• ^The neighbours are having a pillow-fight?

Comment

Working...
                                X