No announcement yet.

Whats on your mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Rose- I did go ahead and order the red star hat. I like it very much, but I see what you mean about it being a little big... it's super warm though and will be great this winter since it actually covers my ears too. I'm glad I went ahead and got it, and that I got it off the US shop. After thinking about it, I'd pay close to that much for a good hat anyway. (Check out my rationalizing!)

My husband told me to go ahead and get a hoodie that I want, but I may still hold off a bit...figure out which one I really want.

Looking into pet insurance at the moment. Given the fact that Engel eats/chews on absolutely anything (and apparently this is something the breed just does) there will be a time when she either eats something toxic or something that won't come out without surgical intervention. The recommendation from owners of this breed is to have insurance. A little every month to hep cover the thousands it will cost us when she eats something...well...can't argue with that.

Comment

• Yay! My company finally finished processing my tuition reimbursement request for the summer term! Extra money is always a good thing

Comment

• Good, so now you can get your hoodie

Comment

• ^ Just what I was thinking!

You know me so well

Comment

• I really like the new bracelet, but it's way too expensive

Comment

• Wow. Definitely too expensive. I've given up on ever getting any of the jewelry I like from them. It's all so expensive! And the rings I like are men's rings anyway, so would be huge. They must have enough people buying stuff to justify the prices though...

Comment

• For those who speak German.

http://mediathek.rbb-online.de/rbb-f...entId=24427256

Comment

• umn soo. wanted to post this somewheres before too =o.

the descriptio n things at the translations seem very.. shallow or whats the word.
                  for example, i doubt Gib mir deine Augen is about torture.

one of the demos even have these lines:

Meine Welt ist gar nicht schön
                  Will sie mit deinen Augen sehen
                  Will sie sehen wie ein Kind
                  Die Dinge wie sie wirklich sind

wells hais anyway =o

Comment

• ^I don't think those interpretations are very far-fetched. I think Gib Mir Deine Augen could be about torture (though it's not too likely), as it could be about the urge for exclusively (perverse) physical contact, or as well the luring song of a siren. And there are probably more interpretations. I'm more bothered with the often very literal or poor translations.

Not sure why you quote the demo... Seriously, if you complain about shallowness, try to avoid shallowness in you own way of describing . With your lack of cohesion and interpunction you're often hard to understand to the full.
                    Dort wo der Horizont
                    Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
                    Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
                    Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

• ^ I think some of the interpretations are a bit far-fetched, but then they are only one persons impression and we can all make our own.

As for the translations, I think it's a good thing that are quite literal, that way the are free of interpretation, and every one can make their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rose View Post
                        ^ I think some of the interpretations are a bit far-fetched, but then they are only one persons impression and we can all make our own.

As for the translations, I think it's a good thing that are quite literal, that way the are free of interpretation, and every one can make their own.

Well, I haven't read all of them tbh, but so far I haven't encountered ones that weren't plausible somehow. To many I'd like to add my views once.

Well, sometimes they use just ANY translation of a word, which turns the translation into a nonsensical structure. Let's take Gib Mir Deine Augen for example again:

"Aus den Augenhöhlen will sich die Seele stehlen" --> according to Affenknecht: "Out of eyes hollow, the soul wants to sneak"

Nobody who ever spoke german would ever translate it like that. "Augenhöhlen" are eyesockets, there's no reason to split that into a adjective and a noun like Affenknecht did?
                        Or earlier in the song... the german "bitte sehr" is just a polite version of "bitte" or "please" in english, but never "I beg so much" (they mistook "bitte" for the 1st person singular of the verb "bitten", which is indeed "to beg"). That's what I mean with literal translations .

To give you an example: it's like they would make the following translation:
                        - original language: I put my foot on the floor
                        - translation: I settle my 30,48 centimeters on the story

You see?
                        Last edited by Waidmann; 11-03-2014, 12:06 AM.
                        Dort wo der Horizont
                        Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
                        Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
                        Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

• I like that even when computer games and books hold no solace for me, I can still put on some music played by these 6 guys as loud as I can and then I feel better. Random I know, but it's where I am.

Comment

• ^Their music is really special, probably that explains why we are fans.

Comment

• @Waidmann, if you correct it, I will be a pain in the ass until they change them or give me powers to do it myself. And better I will use it as source for the Spanish translation, in my to-do list for a long time, but only thinking about doing it with four or five sources in other languages make me feel sick....

Comment

• This is something I'm interested in as well. I know the literal translations are...well, literal. Sometimes I wish I actually understood German as it is spoken and not a few words here and there. The translated lyrics are not as satisfying in my mind as would be the meaning.

Alas, the only thing I have learned so far is how to say "I would like a coffee." Useful, yes, but not enough...

Comment

Working...
                                X