Putting a concert by the band Rammstein on film is a profoundly difficult task. To capture the huge sound, the gamut of visual impressions, the minute details and grand gestures so that cinema viewers can acquire sense of experiencing Rammstein live: To do this, one needs to convey a sense of intimate proximity to what is transpiring on stage. Second, one needs to capture what the experience looks like from the perspective of an audience member in such a huge crowd. And third, one needs to communicate the excitement of being there – not to mention that the music needs to sound insanely good.
RAMMSTEIN: PARIS sets a new standard for concert films. During the “Made in Germany” tour, the celebrated Swedish director, Jonas Åkerlund, filmed two acclaimed Rammstein concerts in March 2012 – each for an audience of 17,000 at the Bercy Arena in Paris. The resulting film (with 16 songs from the entire repertoire) is not just the most spectacular cinematic document to date about the band, currently the biggest rock act in Germany. It is a masterpiece of music cinema that captures the energy of Rammstein in a unique visual and sonic experience.
- For the film the concerts on 06.03.2012 and 07.03.2012 were filmed entirely. The scenes were cut with scenes recorded during rehearsals for the tour. Every show was filmed with 30 cameras in front of 17,000 people each night in Paris.
- At first the film was supposed to be shown on November 24, 26 and 30 of 2016. But after that info leaked and some cinemas hung up adverts too early, the release was postponed to March 23, 24 and 29 of 2017.
- Before its theatrical release the film was shown three times: Cannes Film Festival (May 11, 2016), Cinemaxx cinema Cologne (August 11, 2016) and at the Avant Première Film Festival Berlin (February 14, 2017).
- On its first day of release the movie made more money in the cinemas than “Beauty and the beast” on its first day.
On January 19, 2017 a website (www.rammstein-paris.com) went online, through which fans were able to buy tickets for the cinema presentation of the movie.
Also a newsletter was sent out in which the director Jonas Åkerlund is quoted saying this:
“We shot two nights in Paris, and we had 30 cameras, so that gives you 60 angles, plus we shot a dress rehearsal for close-ups. That gives you a massive amount of footage. This is a whole Rammstein-show, and I take the footage and cut it with the same precision that I would a 3-4 minute music video. Even with a big crew of editors, it took us over a year to nail down the edit. Looking at it now – that is the strength of this project. It really brings the show alive and shows what Rammstein is all about. I am very happy with RAMMSTEIN: PARIS. What this film shows wasn’t just relevant four years ago – it will always be relevant. Rammstein is a timeless work of art. And even if it might sound a bit pretentious, I’d like to say that I don’t think that this level of precision will ever again be attained in a concert film. The film is unique.”
The movie had its official world premiere on March 16, 2017 at the Volksbühne in Berlin. All members of the band were present, as well as Jonas Åkerlund.
The video for “Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?” was premiered via Facebook live-stream at 00:01 on March 24, 2017.
According to listings on Amazon the movie will be available in following formats:
- Audio CD: 2 CDs
- Standard edition: 1 DVD or 1 Blu-ray (6 Panel Digi-Pak)
- Special edition: 1 DVD or 1 Blu-ray, 2 CDs (8 Panel Digi-Pak)
- Limited “metal” fan edition: 1 Blu-ray, 2 CDs (laser-cut metal plate cover artwork, 8 Panel Digi-Pak)
- Deluxe box edition: 4 LPs (blue), 1 Blu-ray, 2 CDs (Black cardboard box)
|03||Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?|
|05||Asche zu Asche|
|09||Du riechst so gut|
|12||Mann gegen Mann|
|14||Mein Herz brennt|
|17||Frühling in Paris|
|03||Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?|
|06||Asche zu Asche|
|10||Du riechst so gut|
|15||Mann gegen Mann|
|17||Mein Herz brennt|
|22||Frühling in Paris|
|03||Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?||05:06|
|06||Asche zu Asche||04:05|
|10||Du riechst so gut||05:28|
|02||Mann gegen Mann||04:15|
|04||Mein Herz brennt||05:08|
|09||Frühling in Paris||06:16|
|A3||Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?||05:06|
|B2||Asche zu Asche||04:05|
|C2||Du riechst so gut||05:28|
|E2||Mann gegen Mann||04:15|
|F1||Mein Herz brennt||05:08|
|G3||Frühling in Paris||06:16|