Whats on your mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snake View Post
    Maybe you are the right person to ask this question and give a succint in enlighted answer: what the fuck is social science/work?

I am asking it because I've already ehard about it many times, but can't imagine what it actually is.
    Do you want the quick answer or the complicated answer?

Comment

Maybe you are the right person to ask this question and give a succint in enlighted answer: what the fuck is social science/work?

I am asking it because I've already ehard about it many times, but can't imagine what it actually is.
      Since I got no response, you get the following answer. [/smirk]

So, social science is a very broad term that includes the so called "soft sciences"- sociology, psychology, anthropology, social work, as well as stuff like politics and economics. Really, this is a very broad term applied to lots of areas not included in the "hard sciences"- physics, chemistry, etc. Soft sciences are considered the more subjective sciences that attempt to interpret human behavior, whereas hard sciences are more objective and have easily measurable date.

Social work is sort of complicated to define. It started out as women trying to help those who were disadvantaged to better themselves, and trust me, I've seen some of the original job duties and descriptions and you would be...well, probably shocked at the early job descriptions.

Gradually, social work developed a very rigorous ethical standard and became a profession that requires practitioners to be licensed to provide services, much like a doctor or psychiatrist or psychologist or lawyer. There are practical and ethical standards that have to be met to maintain licensure and it has to be kept up with continuing education.

Ultimately, in the profession the goal is to help people help themselves through education and support. Making changes to national policy to make things better for people.

I thought I left that soapbox over there...

Comment

• Ok, but short answer:

I solve problems that nobody else wants to even look at and I have mad Google skills.

Comment

• ^That is actually... pretty much what happened to IT and computer science: a broad term for a collection of many disciplines. Except maybe for the licensing part. The short answer could also be given to IT.
          "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

^That is actually... pretty much what happened to IT and computer science: a broad term for a collection of many disciplines. Except maybe for the licensing part. The short answer could also be given to IT.
            Yes absolutely! And really, it isn't so very different. My youngest brother is a computer programmer and wound up doing IT stuff for a fairly large corporation. And most of those different computer programming/computer science disciplines actually require some sort of certification in order to be able to obtain the jobs. So it isn't that different.

It was HUGE when social work became a profession and required licensing. Before then, absolutely anyone could say "oh I'm a social worker" and it wasn't necessarily true. The fact that we are a profession means we have certain standards of practice that absolutely MUST be upheld or you can lose your license and the right to ever call yourself a social worker again. Much the same as if a lawyer were to be disbarred or a doctor...well...whatever it is they do when they strip your license. Can't remember the term right now.

Comment

• Ok, can I just say here that I think I really don't like Pantera, and I wish Pandora would stop throwing them into the mix? Also...Dragonforce is pretty awesome and I am INCREDIBLY happy with the sheer volume of Pain that has been popping up lately?

Comment

• Wow, I go to bed at 2AM and everything is quiet. Then at 2.40AM everyone shows up and I haven't seen this much activity here for a long time.

So: No I wont buy the Tastenficker t-shirt. Snake is whoring his t-shirt, but wont sell it outright. ER is doing a very interesting project for her graduation (I would love to read more about it, when you're done). And I'm probably the oldest one here.

Does that about cover it?

Comment

• I always Have The same feeling, everybody is here when I'm not. I went to bed late yesterday, but The rest of The week I was really tired.

Poor Flakito, you won't buy his T-shirt..... Do you want Snake"s T-shirt ?

Comment

• The Flake shirt is quite boring, uninspired, hopefully not a reference to his book content. Can't see why the shirt would seem special to anyone. And personally I find T-shirt with just text (when not a brand or so) quite nerdy . And does fit a bit with Flake, I know.
                    Dort wo der Horizont
                    Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
                    Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
                    Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

• Originally posted by Maya View Post
                      Do you want Snake"s T-shirt ?
                      Not the one he's been whoring out

Comment

• ^You got it wrong. I was whoring my Ramsmtein t-shirt, not the Snake one.
                        "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rose View Post
                          Wow, I go to bed at 2AM and everything is quiet. Then at 2.40AM everyone shows up and I haven't seen this much activity here for a long time.

So: No I wont buy the Tastenficker t-shirt. Snake is whoring his t-shirt, but wont sell it outright. ER is doing a very interesting project for her graduation (I would love to read more about it, when you're done). And I'm probably the oldest one here.

Does that about cover it?
                          Yeah, I think that's about everything.

I was actually surprised Maya and Snake were both on, since it was getting late here and must've been really late there! But it was pretty fun conversation.What makes you think you are the oldest one here? I'm just guessing at Snake based on the photo and when he says it was, and except for those who are newer and telling ages outright I don't really have any idea.

Originally posted by Maya View Post
                          I always Have The same feeling, everybody is here when I'm not. I went to bed late yesterday, but The rest of The week I was really tired.

Poor Flakito, you won't buy his T-shirt..... Do you want Snake"s T-shirt ?
                          But Maya, you haven't said if you will buy Flakito's shirt...

Originally posted by Waidmann View Post
                          The Flake shirt is quite boring, uninspired, hopefully not a reference to his book content. Can't see why the shirt would seem special to anyone. And personally I find T-shirt with just text (when not a brand or so) quite nerdy . And does fit a bit with Flake, I know.
                          My oldest son's favorite shirt right now was a surprise snuck in with the order I made at ThinkGeek for Christmas. Actually, they sent it by mistake and then said to just keep. It is black and says only "Meh."

Comment

^You got it wrong. I was whoring my Ramsmtein t-shirt, not the Snake one.
                            Then I'll re-consider it

Comment

• Originally posted by EmeraldRose View Post
                              What makes you think you are the oldest one here? I'm just guessing at Snake based on the photo and when he says it was, and except for those who are newer and telling ages outright I don't really have any idea.
                              If everyone here are in their thirties perhaps forties or younger and I'm around Till's age, that makes me the oldest here. But I'm young at heart

Comment

• Originally posted by EmeraldRose View Post
                                But Maya, you haven't said if you will buy Flakito's shirt...
                                I Don't buy clothes without trying them on first.

Snake How many fans .... Soon we'll have to créate your FB fan page

Comment

Working...
                                X