Star Wars: The Force Awakens [SPOILER DISCUSSION]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars: The Force Awakens [SPOILER DISCUSSION]

Star Wars tonight!!!! I can't wait for it!!! I hope J.J Abrahams has prepared something good, although I try to keep my expectations moderat.

Originally posted by Maya

Tonight!!!!!! I'm green with envy, Friday for me.
    Originally posted by Snake
    I even logged out from facebook and youtube to avoid spoilers. Fortunately, within 18 hours I'll have already seen the movie.

As far as expectations, I have a feeling it will be, at the very least, an enjoyable movie and good surprises and great action sequences. At best, it is going to be the best movie out of the seven. However, if this is the case, nostalgia will prevent fans from admitting that ep7 is superior to all the others, specially ep4 and ep5.

And now I'm also logging out from this forum, because any discussion of star wars has the potential to become spoilerly.
    Originally posted by Chrisss Nofff
    I have seen the movie now.

I am not even going to talk much about it, yet. I think once some users who are interested in the movie have seen it, we can maybe have a discussion with a spoiler warning.
    Thank you!!!!
    Originally posted by The Rose
    I've never seen a SW-movie
    xD

If you are interested, now it will be very easy.
    ^I know, they keep showing them on TV, but I keep forgetting. Some things are not meant to be

Maybe SW are not your movies
    Originally posted by Snake
    I just saw it. I liked it pretty much. Star Wars is back with a vengeance, and as long as you do not created gargantuan expectations, you will not be dissapointed at all.
    Shhhhhhhh

May the force be with you.
    Ahhh, Christmas-vacation. 16 days without an alarm-clock
    ^Green with envy, at the moment watching the adds before the movie
    Last edited by Maya; 12-23-2015, 02:09 AM. Reason: Splitted posts from WOYM thread, so that users do not get spoilers.

My intention was to split all posts from WOYM thread into a separate thread, but I accidentally merged all posts into a single one. Sorry for the fuck up.

Anyway, this thread is meant to be full of spoilers, so if you are reading it, don't bitch about the fact that I am gonna tell you that Kylo Ren is Han Solo's son, that he kills his own father near the end of the film, and that Luke only shows up for about 1 minute and does not say anything.

Also, Rey is actually the force-sensitive character, not Finn. And unfortunately, she is a Mary Sue.
    Last edited by Snake; 12-21-2015, 08:48 PM.
    "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

Kaos!!! You should have written who said each thing :O

Comment

^All that info was lost once I merged the posts.
        "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

I'll edit it with my memories then.

Comment

Done. Order in the chaos

Comment

^You are a saint.

So, what did you think of the death of Han Solo?

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

Thank you Snake and Maya for opening this thread!

I think I am going to start out by talking about the big moment that shocked many people in the cinema. Usually when a charachter dies in a movie, I don't really feel I can voice my opinion about it. I think the death of a charachter is a choice the writer, director or storyteller does, and it gives the story he/she wants to tell a new direction. Therefore I usually don't get mad when a see a charachter that I like, die in a movie. That being said this is a "Star Wars"-movie so fans are known to have strong opinions. In that aspect, I think this decision was a good way of giving the new trilogy a strong start. Knowing that Kylo Ren (or technically "Ben Solo") killed his father and chose to go completely over to the dark side, makes him a rather interesting villain in my opinion. It will also make the next film very interesting, since I assume Luke feels much guilt because he trained the man who later on killed one of his best friends.

When it comes to the film itself, I think I need some more time to think about the film. I feel that my opinions can change some time after I watched a movie for the first time. Later on, I might enjoy the it more or less.

That being said, for now all I can say is that I really liked "The Force Awakens". I loved the look of the film, the action was great, many scenes had a great atmosphere and mood etc. Overall a really entertaining film. Then again a few things REALLY stuck out for me. I don't know if many people have the same opinion, but I really dislike sequals that are pretty much remakes of the original. In that sense they have overall the same plot and climax as in the first installment. A few examples of this are "Terminator 3" (had the same plot as T2 but you get the idea) and "Jurassic World". I feel this is just an excuse to be less creative and cash in on nostalgia.

I think that in many ways the story was roughly the same as in the original "Star Wars" or "Episode IV: A New Hope" as it's now called:

1. A droid(s) is given a plan/map that he has to hide from the empire/first order, but give to the right people(rebels/resistance).
                2. He is picked up by a young depressed protagonist who wants to become something (and lives on a desert-planet).
                3. The young protagonist meets a master/mentor (Obi-Wan in Ep. IV, Han Solo in Ep.VII).
                4. The young protagonist finds out he/she must become a jedi.
                5. They travel to a dangerous space-station to save someone (ok, this part is a little changed).
                6. The mentor/master is killed in the end, leaving the antagonist to find a master to learn from. The space-station is being destroyed as well of course.

For a lot of people this isn't a problem at all. They like that this film is reminiscant of the original "Star Wars" and therefore has a lot of elements of nostalgia. The problem I see, is that not everyone feels the same about this. For the younger generations "A New Hope" is just one of the 7 episodes. What I personally think is going to make this film less timeless, is that in 10 years younger "Star Wars" fans who might own all films on DVD might ask themselves "Why do episode IV and VII have pretty much the same plot?". The answer might be "in order to satisfy older fans and give them a feeling of nostalgia back in 2015". Like I said, this might work for now, but will younger fans feel the same in 10 years?

I know you can't really please everyone, but I think they should have borrowed more abstract themes from the original films, instead of simply importing entire scenes and plot devices almost completely unchanged. That seems to be my biggest complain for now, but like I said, it's a little early for me to give my opinion on the film.

Comment

I agree with you in many things, the story is not new, it's just the same in another place and with another people, they haven't risk much, but probably they will surprise us with the next two episodes, this way they give continuity and it's easier for older fans.

But we disagree in what is the biggest complain, there are two things that clearly stand out for me.

1. Kylo Ren, once again I dislike the dark side character's actor. I have to watch the film in VO, but last time it didn't change my opinion at all.
                  2. And the worst, Rey the superwoman, she doesn't need to learn anything about the force, she can use it without problems. When I watched the scene when she escapes I found it even funny. WTF? With the millennium falcon she needed a little time to be the perfect pilot, but with the use of the force she didn't need any training like Anakin and Luke before her. I wonder after some training what will be her powers in the next movie. Snake has shown me some theories that explain this point, but I don't like them. What do you think about this.

Like you I need more time and I have to watch it again.

Comment

I agree with pretty much everything Chriss said. TFA is being very well received now, but within a decade, it is going to feel like a strange entry in the franchise because of its similar plot to the original movie. I would actually even argue that TFA is a soft-reboot of the franchise.

Having said that, I am one of those who did not mind at all that TFA has a similar plot to the first movie, and I really, really liked TFA. I've seen it 2 times already, and I will probably see it a third. In addition, I believe that future episodes will actually be their own thing, with complete new plots and new twists.
                    Last edited by Snake; 12-26-2015, 10:05 PM.

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

^@Snake
                      The borrowed plotelememts from Ep.IV bother me, but I still like the movie. It's certainley the biggest weakness of this episode for me, but like I said it's nothing catastrophical.

@Maya
                      I liked the idea of Kylo Ren. Most "Star Wars"-villains that were not monsters/creatures (like Jabba the Hut), are usually older men that are very experienced and superior to most jedi. Most clearly you can see that in villains like Darth Vader, The Emperor and Count Dooku(Darth Tyrannus). Of course there are a few minor exceptions like Darth Maul and General Grevious, but you get the idea. In addition, Lucas likes to introduce the villain's power threw a "reveal". For instance the Emperor looks at first like a completely weak and old man, but all the sudden you find out he can shoot lightning out of his fingertips.

What I liked about Kylo Ren, was that everything was completely reversed. He seemed like a young, disturbed and confused man, who has difficulties keeping himself under control. Furthermore, instead of a "reveal" of power, we come to find out that Kylo Ren isn't as strong as he wished he was.

Now when it comes to Rey, I also think they took it a little too far. Maybe they were a little too focused too make the audience like the new charachters so they tried to make Rey look as cool as possible. As a consequense, I rarely felt that the First Order and it's sith leaders (Kylo Ren and Snoke) were much of a threat. I know it's almost a cliché in SW movies that the villains always win the first round, but like many have pointed out, making Rey THAT powerfull was maybe a mistake.

However this could build up to a giant twist. Snoke talked about the "Awakening in the force". He probably meant Rey discovering her huge powers. It would be cool if she would turn to the dark side along with Kylo Ren, and the last episode would be about Luke and some other Jedi having to kill them both. But then again I don't think they will got THAT dark with this trilogy.

Comment

^I was talking about the actor (Adam Driver), not the character.

My problem aren't her powers, it's that she suddenly has them and knows how to use them. She does not need training or help. Not talking about an episode maybe five minutes?

It would be cool if she would turn to the dark side along with Kylo Ren, and the last episode would be about Luke and some other Jedi having to kill them both. But then again I don't think they will got THAT dark with this trilogy.
                        That would be very cool, but I don't think it will happen, she is the new heroine and like Luke probably will never be in the dark side.

Comment

I really wanted to go see Star Wars - The Force Awakens with my friend but our local cinema was totally booked out O_O My friend was lucky enough to grab a seat for tomorrow (Tuesday the 29th Dec, 2015), so he'll tell me what it was like. And of course he'll be going in his full Obi Wan Kenobi outfit
                          All the left is right! All the black is white!
                          All the fast was slow! All the loose is tight!
                          All the heat is snow! All the high was low!
                          All the grief is fun! All the, all the rain is sun!

Comment

^Haha! I went to the premier dressed up as Obi Wan as well. I don't think you should give up on seeing the movie yet. "The Force Awakens" has grossed so ridicoulously much at the box office, that many theatres will play it all throughout january and probably even february. I don't know what your local cinema has planned, but you should check if they screen it once more if you really want to see it.

By the way, nice to see a new member here. You are welcome here IchTuDirWeh.

Comment

Haha cool! I'm not sure what my local cinema is doing but maybe i could try again and if not wait for it to come out to buy and watch it then.
                              And thanks....this is the only pretty active Rammstein forum i've managed to find.
                              All the left is right! All the black is white!
                              All the fast was slow! All the loose is tight!
                              All the heat is snow! All the high was low!
                              All the grief is fun! All the, all the rain is sun!

Comment

Working...
                              X