• Show
Clear All

Any thoughts on "Rise of Skywalker"?

Comment

It is:

1) An apology for the last jedi.
      2) A frivolous and esperate checklist of things pandering to fanboys
      3) A pile of Sith

I am glad that I ain't no star wars fans. I would probably way more angry than I ever was at Rammstein.
      Last edited by Snake; 12-31-2019, 12:38 AM.
      "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

Originally posted by Snake View Post
        It is:

1) An apology for the last jedi.
        2) A frivolous and esperate checklist of things pandering to fanboys
        3) A pile of Sith

I am glad that I ain't no star wars fans. I would probably way more angry than I ever was at Rammstein.
        The first two points on your list, I highly agree with.

It's strange how I ended up enjoying "The Force Awakens" the most, from the three new movies. "The Last Jedi" was still somewhat a good movie, but it was a terrible sequel. Last Jedi really is what broke this trilogy. To be honest, the only thing that happens in episode 8, is that Snoke and Luke die. Other than that, all the characters end up in the same place, and have developed the same way, In addition, all of our main characters have been seperated, which means they have not formed any interesting relationships or conflicts.

So for "Rise of Skywalker", JJ Abrahams more or less had to come up with a story that somehow ties this trilogy together.

The main story for episode 9 really sounds like what a hardcore Star Wars-fan would have come up with. The idea of bringing back Palpatine, and having Star Destroyers with mini-Death Star cannons, is such a un-creative and strange choice, but its really the only thing they could have done in order to build up a threatining villain.

The movie is saved by JJ Abrahams being a good action/sci-fi director. But honestly, I think I wouldn't recommed to see this film unless you want to know how this trilogy ends. I also disliked how they handled the Leia scenes. They used deleted scenes from the previous films, and simply worked it into the dialogue. The whole thing is strange to look at. I really think they just should have re-cast a different actress.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisss Nofff View Post

I also disliked how they handled the Leia scenes. They used deleted scenes from the previous films, and simply worked it into the dialogue. The whole thing is strange to look at. I really think they just should have re-cast a different actress.
          A-fucking-men.
          "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

Maybe I'm paranoid, but what bothered me about the movie (which I actually enjoyed overall) was the stupid cosmopolitan-social message behind it. Allmost all the good ones were "colourfull people", hoping on strangers to spontaniously helping their comrads in need, whilst fighting the bad men who were all white men. Com'on people!
            Dort wo der Horizont
            Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
            Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
            Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

Originally posted by Waidmann View Post
              Maybe I'm paranoid, but what bothered me about the movie (which I actually enjoyed overall) was the stupid cosmopolitan-social message behind it. Allmost all the good ones were "colourfull people", hoping on strangers to spontaniously helping their comrads in need, whilst fighting the bad men who were all white men. Com'on people!
              The Empire in Star Wars was always visually based on Nazi-Germany and Fascist-Italy and partially on the Soviet Union. Things like the strict uniforms, strong use of symbols, the black/grey aesthetic etc. It seemed like a good stylistic choice to only cast british white male actors for those parts back in the 70s and 80s. In addition, the original Star Wars was mostly filmed at Elstree studios near London.

In the new trilogy, the "First Order" is a little all over the place. In "Force Awakens" and "Last Jedi" there are plenty of visual Nazi-references. However there were plenty of women playing officers in both movies. Last Jedi was a bit more diverse than Force Awakens, but only in "Rise of Skywalker" do we see multiple actors of color being officers as well (as far as I remember).

On the one hand, there is probably a wish to be more diverse in casting actors. On the other hand, it seemed like they wanted to keep the Empire-aesthetic for "Force Awakens" and "Last Jedi" and therefore only cast a couple of women. However for "Rise of Skywalker" they dropped this idea, and made the "First Order" somewhat diverse. You can even hear some female stormtroopers.

I guess some people working on the production felt that the skin-color based casting to match a nazi-aesthetic was a little weird in 2019. Again, it seems like this trilogy just overall lacked a visually consistent idea. Instead they just changed things along the way.

I think a better idea would have been to just have a diverse First Order from the beginning. They could also have made the First Order less Empire-like and given it a different aesthetic, but instead they chose to stay nostalgic.
              Last edited by Chrisss Nofff; 02-06-2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X