• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya
    replied
    And the final one....

Feeling B: The Soundtrack of East Germany’s Demise

There are two books published about Feeling B, and a number of mentions in various other literature about the underground culture of East Berlin (which is not equal to, but shouldn’t be separated from, the whole of GDR). “Mix Mir Einen Drink” and the ‘grün & blau’ album’s included booklet by the same name, the latter edited together by Flake himself. None of them are translated into English (yet),
    Grün & Blau booklet first please.

Leave a comment:

• EmeraldRose
    replied
    Maya, this does seems to be quite the soft spot for Flake.

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    Another one...

Leave a comment:

• EmeraldRose
    replied
    ^Very much! It's nice that it isn't just a little interview and a couple pictures, but really has so much information about that time.

Leave a comment:

• SonneN
    replied
    I am very glad, you guys enjoying this series. We're currently working on Finale

Leave a comment:

• Waidmann
    replied
    Life in the GDR was simpler, more in control, less overwhelmed with all the western info and relentless capitalism. It was more quiet, structured and predictable. Capitalism makes the world evolve quick, introduced too much traffic, brands, ideas, opinions, etc. Not everyone can handle this pressure or this freedom. It surely did rise the life standard and there's no way Rammstein could've worked without it. But nostalgia - here "ostalgia" - is a well known and understood fact in Germany. I can understand why, although the benefits of the end of the GDR were undeniable and heavily needed.

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    ^What a story!!! I love it.

Probably he will always think it was better, life seen by the eyes of a teenager is always very different. Maybe it was for him, who knows.

In Spain we had the dictatorship of Franco, some people still says "With Franco we lived better", I can't give a real opinion because I hadn't live those years but they weren't free to do anything, I can't believe it was better, and people were killed and taken to prison, many have to run away. I have listened to versions of different people and it's like they were living in different countries. I know one thing, I wouldn't like it, and sometimes we don't know how lucky we are now.

Leave a comment:

• The Rose
    replied
    It was fun reading the three pieces. They made me remember going to West-Berlin by train, and we had to buy transit-visas to GDR and all the hassle the border guards gave us. They didn't really like Western punks coming through, some of the guards were quite young and me and my girlfriends always did our best to make them smile or even better: Blush. If all else failed we would lean out of the train-windows (there were no way we were allowed onto the platform) and lift up our shirts - that always got a blush from the young ones, while the older guards just looked on, shaking their heads, pretending not to look.

Also in Berlin we would go to the East and crossing over either at Checkpoint Charlie or at Frideichsstrasse U-bahn station, they had a West-Mark shop there where you could buy cheap photo-paper and other things cheaply, even if the made you change West.marks for East-marks 1 to 1.

But nostalgia . . . no not really, and I doubt even Flake would have liked it as he got older. One thing to fool around as a teenager, another to have to live on the edge of a very restricted society when you get older.

Leave a comment:

• EmeraldRose
    replied
    I have really enjoyed reading these when they post. It's an interesting perspective into a period of time I only sort of vaguely remember. It kind of explains a lot of his feeling towards the US for me.

Leave a comment:

• Maya
    replied
    Rammstein USA is publishing "Feeling B Special" series. I find them very interesting, my weakness for Flakito is well known and he is the main character of the articles, so I'm enjoying them a lot.

You can find photos and even videos in the articles, i don't know if you had listen to them, it's worth it.

Here are the links to the published articles:

“Feeling B” Special – East-Punk: “I miss the GDR. “ (Spiegel ) http://www.rammstein.us/archives/10899/

“Feeling B” Special: Interview with Flake in Powermetal.de http://www.rammstein.us/archives/10938

“Feeling B” Special: You’ll never reach the top – 25 years of Feeling B http://www.rammstein.us/archives/10966

Leave a comment:

• cannibal_wotsit
    replied

Words cannot describe how much I love this song

Leave a comment:

• cannibal_wotsit
    replied
    Originally posted by + Kein Engel + View Post
    I once heard a bit of Feeling B's music - Flake on the vocal sounds hilarious xD But I haven't heard enough of it to judge it :/
    I know, love him singing

@RBF, sounds like fun! That's how I've spent the last 3 christmas parties, I'd recommend making it an annual thing

Leave a comment:

• RICHARDS BIGGEST FAN
    replied
    [QUOTE=cannibal_wotsit;4233]Haha, but have you ever slept overnight there?

One night a couple of years back we had a Xmas party, one of the managers had his keys with him, we were all too drunk to get home so we stayed in the staff room,so yes i have stayed here all night

Leave a comment:

• + Kein Engel +
    replied
    I once heard a bit of Feeling B's music - Flake on the vocal sounds hilarious xD But I haven't heard enough of it to judge it :/

Leave a comment:

• cannibal_wotsit
    replied
    Haha, but have you ever slept overnight there?

Out of all the older bands, Feeling B is probably my favourite band, loved the music

Leave a comment:

Working...
X