No announcement yet.

Emigrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nop, I can't continue listening the album without them.

Comment

• Well now, we can't have that!

Giving Up

This is the song that was teased during the Rammfire promotional video, and it is even better than the snippet we heard there. A scream of defiance, interspersed with reminders that Emigrate isn't going anywhere. The guitars are heavy and the riffs are as promised in the Rammfire teaser. Very solid, classic Emigrate sound. Giving Up is reminiscent of the sound on the first album.

It does feel a bit repetitive, and a faster beat would have been nice, but overall good sound.

ER's Scorecard: ​7/10

Comment

• My Pleasure

At last, a faster beat and beautiful heavy guitars! Drums that drive you on through the song! Another catchy tune, and in this song Richard's improvement as a singer can really be heard. Again, very reminiscent of earlier Emigrate. This is a song you can just put on and have in the background, great to work along to.

It will be interesting to learn the meaning/inspiration for this song when it is posted on Facebook, since the lyrics leave it rather open to interpretation.

ER's Scorecard: 7.5/10

Comment

• Happy Times

Initial reaction upon seeing the song title and that Margaux is the guest artist? "Oh God...not a saccharine song about how great life and love are!!?" After a listen, I am very happy this song is not one of those. The lyrics are nice and dark, and more a lament that these are not the happy times. Or something.

This song is VERY repetitive. It's slow. It's kind of blah. A heavier bass line might've helped, but overall I can take it or leave it.

ER's Scorecard: ​4/10

Comment

• Faust

Nice start up for this song. Glad he doesn't continue with the echo-y voice. It reminds me of nothing more than something from Oh Brother Where Art Thou? and not something I want a lot of in my music...

This song gives us a nice strong guitar riff with really good drums. Again, rather repetitive in the lyrics. Overall, it's a good solid rock song. Kind of wonder about the Faust connection, but maybe we will get that as the videos continue to come out on Facebook.

ER's Scorecard: 6/10

Comment

• Silent So Long

The lyrics of this song give all the darkness the album promised. Accusation, depression, hopelessness..."I'd run to hold myself together..." Does the song break the silence so the singer doesn't have to run any longer? The music in this song is good, fairly basic/classic Emigrate sound, though nothing that really stands out. The highlight is definitely the lyrics.

Jonathan and Richard's voices really mesh very well, and the high harmony is very well done. Though to be perfectly honest, I will never be able to listen to this song without picturing Jonathan Davis grabbing his balls to hit the high notes (thanks for that image Richard).

ER's Scorecard: 8/10

Comment

• Wow, you have work hard.

Now, I have to listen it complete again with both reviews.......

Thanks !!!!

Comment

• Thank you for your reviews, ER. Very well thought through. Should I fall over a copy of the cd I'll give it a listen with these in mind. Great job

Comment

• Album Impression:
                    This is a fairly solid album, considering the fact that there are multiple guest artists who never set foot in the studio with the band while recording. While the first album had a definite heavy rock sound, Silent So Long has a more electronic/alternative metal feel. Can't really call it an alternative rock alum because it doesn't fit there. Definitely not a heavy metal album. Not really sure where it fits in terms of genre, but it doesn't really matter. The people who like Emigrate will more than likely appreciate the music contained in this album.

Initially, I was disappointed with the fact that this album would sound so different from the first one. I truly love the first album and was hoping for more of the same. Silent So Long is sort of like grown up Emigrate. The eponymous album was like a teenager joyously telling everyone they have just moved out of the house and are free to do whatever they want. Silent So Long is that same person, having gone out and done whatever they wanted and finding it wasn't necessarily all that great or what they really wanted. As a fan, I had to accept that there are 7 years and lots of life in between these two albums, and that things will change.

I found that rather than being incredibly disappointed with all the guest stars on the album, they actually (more or less) fit with the idea behind the band. I don't have to love what's been done, because this wasn't written for me. It was written for the musicians who created it.

There are a few stand out songs for me on the album, mostly because they resonate with me in a way the other songs do not.

ER's Scorecard- Overall album score: 7/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Maya View Post
                      Wow, you have work hard.

Now, I have to listen it complete again with both reviews.......

Thanks !!!!
                      Originally posted by The Rose View Post
                      Thank you for your reviews, ER. Very well thought through. Should I fall over a copy of the cd I'll give it a listen with these in mind. Great job
                      No problem! It was fun, and made me actually think about the songs instead of just saying "Oh I like this one! I don't like this one!"

Comment

• Since everybody is pumped to share their personal review of SSL,I decided to jump into the bandwagon and also share my own review. Here it is my hernest, honest, and thought out review of SSL:

Meh.
                        "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

• Originally posted by Snake View Post
                          Since everybody is pumped to share their personal review of SSL,I decided to jump into the bandwagon and also share my own review. Here it is my hernest, honest, and thought out review of SSL:

Meh.
                          They were invited to do so. But since you fell compelled to share your view as well. all I can say is: Much more positive than I would have thought.

So as some of us agreed on earlier: You really are en Emigrate fan-boy

Comment

• Originally posted by Snake View Post
                            Since everybody is pumped to share their personal review of SSL,I decided to jump into the bandwagon and also share my own review. Here it is my hernest, honest, and thought out review of SSL:

Meh.
                            You and I have talked at length about SSL, and I think that's a fair summation of your feelings regarding the album.

Seriously though, a lot of my feelings about the album were influenced by recent events in my life. Which is probably why my very first thoughts about it changed somewhat afterwards.

Comment

• My wife bought the album for me and I actually wish she hadn't. I have to be honest and say I find it just plain ordinary. I've heard it so many times already by so many different mediocre bands over the years.
                              I think Snake's review of 'Meh' gave it more credit than it desevered, I would sooner say Yawn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art in Heaven View Post
                                My wife bought the album for me and I actually wish she hadn't. I have to be honest and say I find it just plain ordinary. I've heard it so many times already by so many different mediocre bands over the years.
                                I think Snake's review of 'Meh' gave it more credit than it desevered, I would sooner say Yawn.
                                That's funny, I yawn at every post Snake makes lately.
                                Dort wo der Horizont
                                Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
                                Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
                                Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

Working...
                                X