No announcement yet.

The languages thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a native speaker of English, I can understand (but not exactly speak) quite a bit of German and also know fragments of French. I am about to start my A-Levels and would've took German, but I had to choose between that and English Language which complimented my other choices better. Bleh, language education in this country sucks.

Comment

I am a native English speaker myself with 4 years knowledge of french and 2 of German. I would like to improve my German though and I already have private lessons :3

Comment

Mainly, Spanish and English. Some French, some Polish and I am starting to follow conversations in German. The problem I have is that when I try to think in German, Polish always comes to help... which doesn't help very much.
        «The trouble with the world is that the stupid is cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt»
        Bertrand Russell.

Comment

I have reached the conclusion that i must be the most un-intelligent forum member I speak English only, enough French to get by and can count to ten in German...not very impressive eh, my excuse is i am a lot older than most of you and my school was so crap when it comes to languages
          The saying is "You dont know what you have got till its gone" the truth is "You know what you had, you just did not know you would lose it" !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
            Mainly, Spanish and English. Some French, some Polish and I am starting to follow conversations in German. The problem I have is that when I try to think in German, Polish always comes to help... which doesn't help very much.
            Spanish we are three.

Maybe you could mix French, Polish and German xD

Comment

Originally posted by RICHARDS BIGGEST FAN View Post
              I have reached the conclusion that i must be the most un-intelligent forum member I speak English only, enough French to get by and can count to ten in German...not very impressive eh, my excuse is i am a lot older than most of you and my school was so crap when it comes to languages
              It's less logic for you as a native speaker of a global language to have obtained other ones. As a Belgian I was in school obliged to learn French and English up to a high level while learning the basics of German. That all combined with my mothertongue Dutch, so the effort wasn't really extraordinairy.
              Dort wo der Horizont
              Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
              Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
              Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

^I always thought Dutch = German
                "Which is better, eternal happiness or a ham sandwich? It would appear that eternal happiness is better, but this is really not so! After all, nothing is better than eternal happiness, and a ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing. Therefore a ham sandwich is better than eternal happiness."

- Raymond M. Smullyan

Comment

^ me too, but he made a comment that made me use The dictionary.

Comment

^Dutch is the language of the Netherlands (and the north of Belgium). Since early medieval times German evolved signifantly away from the languages in the north sea area. Starting from around the year 750 there's enough difference between the languages to consider them as two seperate ones. Of course, later on the differences became bigger and bigger. Today it's even impossible for a Dutch-speaker to understand a German text or speech without study.
                    Last edited by Waidmann; 08-31-2012, 07:30 PM.
                    Dort wo der Horizont
                    Sich mit dem Meer verbindet
                    Dort wollt' ich auf dich warten
                    Auf das du mich dort findest

Comment

^Thanks for explanation

Comment

I speak English and I also know French.
                        Lead Pipe Replacement

Comment

english, indonesian (mothers tongue) a bit of japanese (can talk but not read or write them), and a lil of German
                          “I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.” ― Harun Yahya

Comment

Working...
                          X